If you're considering canceling your Home Chef subscription and exploring other meal delivery options, you're in the right place.
In this article, I'll walk you through the steps to cancel your Home Chef account, explain the difference between canceling and skipping weeks, and show you how to fully delete your account (including personal and payment information).
I'll also provide some recommendations for alternative meal delivery services to Home Chef (that I've used over the years).
By taking the time to compare different services, you can choose the one that best fits your needs and preferences. Whether you're looking for a wide variety of meal options, better ingredients, or simply more affordable prices, our recommendations here at Food Box HQ can help you find a meal delivery service that meets all of your needs.
What You Should Do Before Canceling Home Chef
If you’re looking to cancel Home Chef because you had an issue with your box, such as it came damaged or the food was spoiled, I completely understand your frustration. It’s happened to me and I know what a pain it can be...
Before jumping to immediately canceling your subscription, here’s what you should do first:
- Contact Home Chef customer service to report the problem. They may offer a solution, such as a replacement box or a credit towards your next order. The one time I had an issue with Home Chef they immediately sent me a new box.
- Check to see if you are eligible for a refund. Home Chef has a customer satisfaction guarantee on their homepage that states, “If you’re not 100% satisfied, we don’t expect you to pay!” You can read the specific terms here.
- Consider skipping a week instead of canceling your subscription. If you are just experiencing a one-time issue, such as the box was delivered late, skipping a week may be a better solution than canceling your subscription altogether. I’ll go over the details of skipping versus canceling a little later on.
- Try a different recipe. If the issue was with a specific meal, such as it coming out bland or worse, you may want to consider trying a different recipe before canceling your subscription. It’s possible it was just a fluke.
- Make changes to your account and subscription. If you are still experiencing issues, you may want to consider adjusting your account settings or subscription preferences to better fit your needs. For example, if you’re receiving more meals than you can cook, you can always reduce the amount they send you.
If you have tried adjusting your preferences, reaching out to customer service, or trying a different recipe and you are still not satisfied with your Home Chef experience, it might be time to consider canceling your subscription.
While it's always a good idea to try to resolve any issues you may have with a service or product before canceling, sometimes it's simply not possible or even worth the effort.
In the following sections, I’ll outline the steps you need to take to cancel your Home Chef subscription as well as provide some of our favorite alternative meal delivery options to consider.
How To Cancel Your Home Chef Account & Stop Subscriptions
Home Chef gives you 4 ways to cancel your account and stop your subscription—on their website, mobile app, over the phone, and via email. I’ll cover each in detail below so that you can go with the option you feel most comfortable with.
It's important to note that Home Chef refers to the cancelation process as "pausing" your account. However, this is the same as canceling a subscription with any other meal delivery service. When you pause your Home Chef account, it will cancel future subscriptions and stop any payments for upcoming boxes.
Keep in mind that to avoid receiving a delivery from Home Chef for the upcoming week, you must cancel your subscription before the Friday 12PM Central deadline. If you miss this deadline, you may still receive another order.
How To Cancel Your Home Chef Account On Their Website
To cancel your Home Chef subscription on their website, follow the steps below…
- Log in to your Home Chef account on their website.
- Click on the "Account" tab in the upper right corner of the dashboard. In the dropdown menu, click on the "Account Settings" link.
- Find and click on the "Pause My Account" option at the bottom of the navigation tabs on the left.
- Home Chef will ask why you’re pausing/canceling your account. Follow the prompts to share your reason.
- You will be taken to a cancellation confirmation screen and receive a confirmation email.
How To Cancel Your Home Chef Account On Their Mobile App
To cancel your Home Chef subscription on their mobile app, follow these steps:
- Open the Home Chef app on your phone.
- Tap on the "Account" icon in the bottom right corner.
- Tap on "My Settings" in the menu that appears.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and tap on "Pause My Account."
- Select your reason for canceling and tap "Continue."
- Review the cancellation details and tap "Cancel My Account" to confirm.
After canceling, you will receive a confirmation screen and email indicating that your subscription has been canceled.
How To Cancel Your Home Chef Account Over The Phone
Canceling your Home Chef account over the phone does require a little bit more work than it does using their website or mobile phone. Here are the steps you can take…
- Call Home Chef’s customer service number at 1 (872) 225-2433.
- Let the customer service representative know that you would like to cancel your account.
- Home Chef’s representative will ask for your account information to verify your identity and locate your account.
- The representative may also ask for your reason for canceling and will likely try to offer you a promotion or discount to continue your service.
- If you still wish to cancel, they will process your request and cancel your account.
- Before leaving the call, be sure to ask them to send you email confirmation that they canceled your account.
How To Cancel Your Home Chef Account Via Email
Canceling your Home Chef account over email will take the longest out of all of the options here because you’ll need to wait for a response from their customer support team. However, if you want to have it in writing that you reached out to them to cancel your account, this is your best option.
To cancel your Home Chef account via email, follow these steps…
- Send an email to customer service at email@example.com with the subject line "Cancel Account."
- In the body of the email, include your name, email address, and the reason for canceling your account.
- Wait for a response from a customer service representative, who will confirm that your account has been canceled.
- Check your email for a verification email from Home Chef stating that your account has been successfully canceled.
If you do not receive an email that states your account has been canceled, I highly suggest that you follow up with Home Chef's customer support to ensure that your account has been canceled.
How To Reactivate Your Home Chef Account
If you ever change your mind and wish to reactivate your Home Chef account or “unpause” it, doing so is very simple. Here are the steps to take…
- Log into your Home Chef account on their website or mobile app.
- You will see a big button near the top of the screen that says “Reactivate”, click it.
- This will walk you through the process of confirming your plan settings, payment details, and next box of meals.
Canceling Your Home Chef Account vs. Skipping Weeks
Sometimes, people cancel their Home Chef account when they actually meant to skip weeks. Skipping weeks will pause your account so that you will not receive a box of meals for the week that you skip, and you will not be charged for that week.
When you cancel your account, your subscription is paused indefinitely, meaning that you will not receive any more deliveries until you choose to come back and reactivate your account. This can be helpful if you're looking to take a break from meal delivery for an extended period of time, but it's important to note that canceling is a more final decision than simply skipping a week.
If you're not sure whether you want to cancel or just take a break, you may want to consider skipping a week instead. This will allow you to pause your account temporarily, without committing to fully canceling.
How To Fully Delete Your Home Chef Account
As mentioned above, canceling your Home Chef account does not remove your personal information. This can be of concern to people who do not want to risk having their information (such as email, address, and payment details) possibly shared or exploited in a hack.
Deleting your account from Home Chef is not as easy as canceling or pausing your account because it cannot be done automatically via their website or mobile app.
To delete your Home Chef account, you must contact their customer support team either through email or over the phone. Let them know that you would like to delete your account, as well as all of your personal information and payment information from their records. They will process your request and delete your account permanently.
Keep in mind that once you delete your account, it cannot be reactivated and you will have to create a new account if you wish to use their services again in the future.
Looking For Better Meal Kits? These Are Our Favorite Home Chef Alternatives
If you're set on canceling your Home Chef subscription, you may be on searching for alternative meal delivery services that offer a better experience.
If that's the case, you’re in the right place. Here at Food Box HQ we’ve spent years purchasing and testing hundreds of boxes from different meal delivery services. Below you’ll find our favorite Home Chef alternatives…
If you're looking for a meal delivery service that is more reliable in terms of the quality of their meals, you may want to consider switching to HelloFresh.
In addition to meal kit meals, HelloFresh also offers a range of pre-made and grocery items you can add to your box every week.
If you're looking for a meal delivery service that delivers delicious meals with minimal headaches, HelloFresh is an excellent option to consider. In my experience, HelloFresh stands out for its consistently tasty dishes and easy recipes, making it one of the most reliable meal delivery services I've tried.
If you enjoy Martha Stewart's cooking style and are looking for a meal delivery service that aligns with your culinary interests, Marley Spoon might be the perfect fit. This meal kit has a partnership with Stewart, which means that their recipes are either inspired by or directly created by her.
Whether you're a fan of Stewart's more upscale comfort foods or enjoy trying out new, creative dishes, Marley Spoon offers a wide variety of options with over 100+ different recipes to choose from every single week. To put that in perspective, the meal kits we review usually have no more than 50 or so options to choose from each week.
With its focus on quality ingredients and delicious recipes, Marley Spoon is an excellent choice for those looking to bring a touch of Martha Stewart's culinary expertise into their own kitchens.
In my experience, Sunbasket stands out as a superior "all-around" meal delivery service compared to Home Chef.
One of the main reasons for this is the vast array of meal delivery options that Sunbasket offers, including meal kits, pre-made meals, and a comprehensive marketplace stocked with a wide selection of grocery items, including meats, snacks, desserts, sides, and drinks.
Whether you're in the mood for a quick and easy meal kit or looking to try out new recipes with fresh ingredients, Sunbasket has something for everyone.
What’s more, Sunbasket offers a level of customization that I’ve never seen in another meal kit, including Home Chef. With their meal plan options, you can specify which diets you'd like to follow. You can even specify any ingredients or foods that you do or do not want included in your meals, making it easy to tailor your meals to your specific preferences and dietary needs.
This type of variety and flexibility could be appealing to those who want more control over their meal choices than they had with Home Chef.
In addition, Sunbasket is known for using organic and sustainably sourced ingredients in their meals. Home Chef only occasionally uses organic ingredients their meals.
Wrapping up, canceling your Home Chef account is a straightforward process that can be done through their website, mobile app, phone, or email. If you encounter any issues or have questions, their customer service team can help out.
Keep in mind that you can also pause your account by skipping weeks, rather than canceling it entirely. If you decide that you no longer want to use Home Chef and want to fully delete your account, you must contact their customer service team to do so.
Lastly, if you're considering switching to a different meal delivery service, there are a variety of options available that offer a range of different recipes, add-ons, features, and benefits. Should HelloFresh, Marley Spoon, and Sunbasket not be up to your needs, you can read more meal delivery service reviews here or watch them on our YouTube channel here.