Back when meal delivery services just started out, there were nearly zero options for those following a vegan diet.
Fast forward to today and you’ll find premade meal delivery services and meal kits for nearly every diet under the sun. That means today there are more options for those looking for plant-based meal delivery than there ever have been before.
I’ve spent over half a decade trying hundreds of different food boxes with my wife, Emily. When it comes to getting vegan meals delivered, I’ve found that only a select few services are even worth considering.
Today I’m going to share my favorite vegan meal delivery services. But before we jump into our top picks, I want to share the specific guidelines we used to evaluate the vegan meal delivery services on this list…
- The meal delivery service must be fully vegan compliant or have a vegan meal plan option that offers a minimum of 7 fully vegan meal options per week.
- The vegan meal delivery service must use high-quality ingredients whenever possible. This means organic and seasonal produce, as well as non-GMO ingredients.
- The vegan meal delivery service must be able to ship throughout the continental United States.
- The meal delivery service must offer either premade meals or a meal kit (where you receive the recipe and ingredients to cook the meal yourself).
For more information about how we review each meal delivery service, you can read our about our review process here.
Jump To A Section
Best Vegan Meals For Convenience
What It Is: Daily Harvest is a vegan meal delivery service that we originally tried back in 2017 when they were only a smoothie delivery service. Since then, they have evolved their meal delivery service to become one of the best options for vegans out there. Having ordered dozens of different meals from Daily Harvest, I’ve found that their meals are not only consistently delicious but also very convenient to make and take with me on the go. This is because all of their meals are both premade and frozen. This allows them to be the perfect “grab-and-go” style meal. They also have a huge variety to choose from and are always adding new options to their menu. For example, they have smoothies, harvest bowls, flatbreads, soups, oat bowls, chia bowls, lattes, and even plant-based ice cream.
Types Of Vegan Meals Daily Harvest Offers: Breakfasts, lunches, dinners, snacks, and desserts.
Price Per Meal: Daily Harvest’s pricing ranges depending on the meal. The average cost is around $8 per meal.
Our Favorite Daily Harvest Vegan Meals:
- Sweet Potato + Wild Rice Hash Harvest Bowl
- Kale + Sweet Potato Flatbread
- Tomato + Zucchini Minestrone Soup
- Mint + Dark, Melty Cacao Chips “Scoops” Ice Cream
- Hazelnut + Chocolate “Bites” (delicious frozen balls of avocado, hazelnut, cacao, chia, reishi mushroom, and vanilla bean)
- Cacao + Avocado Smoothie
Why It Made This List:
- Since we first tried Daily Harvest they have consistency expanded their menu from just smoothies to becoming one of the biggest (and best) vegan meal delivery services we’ve tried. Even just recently they’ve added new a new menu category—“Forager Bowls”.
- Since they have so much variety, there are vegan foods at many different price points to fit different budgets.
- One of my favorite aspects of Daily Harvest is that they prioritize convenience. I’ve tried nearly every item on their menu and almost every one has taken less than 5 minutes to prepare. The only one that takes a little longer are the flatbreads, since they have to be heated up in the oven.
- The majority of the ingredients Daily Harvest uses are organic.
Food Box HQ Note: While I have enjoyed the majority of our Daily Harvest meals, do be aware that they tend to have some “out there” flavors. In most of their meals, they usually combine a popular vegetable with a more unknown one. For example, their Chickpea + Za’atar harvest bowl (another favorite of mine) is made with zucchini, chickpea, tomato, sultana rasin, za’atar, and cordyceps. If you’re an adventurous eater, this is great. If you’re more of a picky eater or prefer classic vegan dishes, I would recommend considering another vegan meal delivery service on this list.
Best For Those New To Plant-Based
What It Is: Veestro is a frozen premade meal delivery service that has around 60 meals to choose from each week. From my experience using Veestro, I found that they do a great job of taking traditional meals and making simple twists to turn them vegan. For example, they’ll make lasagna with Impossible Foods plant-based meat or fried “chicken” with plant-based chicken. This makes them a great option for those who are new to plant-based and are looking for vegan versions of classic meals they already know.
Types Of Meals Veestro Offers: Breakfasts, lunches, and dinners.
Starting Price: $10.80 per meal using their subscription or $12 per meal ordering a la carte.
Our Favorite Veestro Vegan Meals:
- South Indian Coconut Stew
- Chik’n Nuggets (great as a snack or appetizer)
- Tortilla Chili
Why It Made This List:
- They’re one of the only vegan meal delivery services that allow you to order a la carte or subscribe. This gives you the option to try out their meals before committing to a subscription.
- Since they offer more traditional classic meals with a vegan twist, it makes them a great option for those who are newly transitioning into a vegan diet.
- Because everything they offer is frozen, all of their meals stay good for 3+ months. In the past we’ve kept Veestro meals in our freezer to have as backup meals.
Food Box HQ Note: Veestro does not rotate their menu or add in new meals that frequently. So if you’re looking for variety on a weekly basis, I’d suggest looking at others on this list such as Purple Carrot, Sprinly, Green Chef, or Fresh n Lean.
Best Vegan Meal Kit
What It Is: Purple Carrot is the only 100% vegan meal kit currently on the market (others only have vegan plans). This means you pick the meals you want to make and they’ll send you the recipes along with the ingredients. One thing to note about Purple Carrot is that the recipes can be a little involved. That being said, I have consistently been impressed with how they have come out. To give you an example, in one of our recent Purple Carrot boxes, Emily and I made their Mapo Tofu Dumplings. If you watch the video above, you’ll see that we had to actually make the dumplings by hand, which was a bit intimidating. However, even though it took a while to prepare and cook, they came out absolutely delicious.
Types Of Meals Purple Carrot Offers: Breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and snacks.
Starting Price: $9.99 per meal.
Our Favorite Purple Carrot Vegan Meals:
- Mapo Tofu Dumplings with Bok Choy & Sweet Chile Sauce
- Brussels Sprouts & Black Bean Tacos with Chipotle Crema & Pickled Onions
- Parmesan Gnocchi with Melted Summer Squash & Basil
Why It Made This List:
- Purple Carrot is a great option if you’re looking to learn how to cook more plant-based meals. Their recipes can sometimes be intricate but it gives you a way to test new meals in a controlled environment (since you have the recipe and all the ingredients). We like to save the recipe cards from meals that we love so we can make them again on our own.
- They’re one of the few meal kits that offer breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. Many meal kits only cover lunch and dinner.
- I found that the portion sizes of Purple Carrot meals were fairly larger than most others on this list.
Best For Quick & Delicious Vegan Meals
What It Is: Sprinly is a premade vegan meal delivery service that sends you fresh (not frozen) meals. Having tried hundreds of different food boxes over the years (seriously, go check out our YouTube channel) Sprinly is one of my personal favorites. Not only are their meals fresh and premade (so there’s no need to even defrost or heat many of them) making them super convenient, they’re also very delicious. Being someone who tends to skip meals during the day as I’m working, whenever we order Sprinly, I find it very simple to grab a meal, eat something delicious, and feel good knowing I’m not snacking on junk. The one drawback to Sprinly meals are that they can be on the smaller size in terms of portions and they’re a bit expensive.
Types Of Meals Sprinly Offers: Lunches and dinners.
Starting Price: $16.05 per meal.
Our Favorite Sprinly Vegan Meals:
- Mediterranean Oasis Bowl with Baked Falafel and Dill Tahini
- Amalfi Lentil Bolognese with Gluten-Free Pasta and Cashew “Parm”
- Pasta Primavera with Gluten-Free Pasta and Cashew “Parm”
Why It Made This List:
- Out of all of the premade meal delivery services on this list, I’ve found Sprinly to have the best tasting premade meals.
- I’ve found many of their meals to be heavier on the vegetables rather than the carbs. I like this because one of the issues I’ve had with going vegan in the past is many have been high in carbohydrates like pasta. While vegan pasta dishes can be tasty, they’ve definitely led to me gaining weight.
- They use their business as a way to give back. They’ve donated to multiple non-profits, including Hunger Network, Ocean Conservancy, ACLU, NAACP, and more.
Food Box HQ Note: While I personally love Sprinly, their vegan meal delivery service is expensive and may not fit everyone’s budget. For less expensive options, scroll down to the “Frequently Asked Vegan Meal Delivery Service Questions” section to see the cheapest vegan meal delivery services on this list.
Best For Whole Food Vegan Meals
What It Is: If you’re looking for a vegan meal delivery service that focuses on the purest form of vegan meals, MamaSezz might be what you’re looking for. Every vegan meal that they offer is non-GMO, oil-free, gluten-free, wheat-free, refined sugar-free, preservative-free, and peanut-free. And I’ve found that many meals are also soy-free and salt-free. As you can tell, all of their meals focus on whole foods with zero additives. What I enjoy most about MamaSezz and what makes them stand out among many other options on this list is that they offer a variety of curated meal bundles. For example, if you’re simply looking to test the waters with a vegan diet, they have a “Get Me Started Bundle” which I’ve found to be an easy way to transition into plant-based eating because they send meals that don’t necessarily feel vegan but still taste delicious (such as their delicious Lazy Lasagna).
Types Of Meals MamaSezz Offers: Breakfasts, lunches, dinners, snacks, and desserts.
Starting Price: Depending on whether you order a bundle or a la carte, the price per meal/serving ranges from $5 to $10.
Our Favorite MamaSezz Vegan Meals:
- “Lazy Lasagna”, made with brown rice elbow noodles doused in non-dairy cashew cream and tomato sauce (my personal favorite meal of theirs)
- “Millie’s Chili”, made with beans, chickpeas, peppers, corn, carrots, and onions
- “Mama’s Burger”, made with oats, sweet onions, chickpeas, zucchini, mushrooms, red peppers, spinach, tomatoes, carrots, garlic, and walnuts
Why It Made This List:
- They offer a great money back guarantee. If you’re not happy, they’ll give you a full refund.
- They’re one of the least expensive vegan meal delivery options on this list. With their biggest plan being $169, you can add around 43 servings/meals which comes out to around $4 per meal.
- They’re one of the only meal delivery services on this list that focuses on the bare essentials when it comes to vegan meals and strip away any processed ingredients, added sugars, etc.
Best For Backup Vegan Meals
What It Is: Mosaic Foods is a frozen premade vegan meal delivery service that focuses mainly on bowls and soups. When we received our first box of Mosaic Foods vegan meals, I assumed they would be the same as most of the plant-based options in the freezer aisle of our local grocery store. Looking at the box, on the outside, they look similar. However, I was pleasantly surprised at how tasty these frozen meals came out. While they don’t have as much variety as many of the other services on this list, the majority of their meals are full of flavor. What I enjoy most about Mosaic, and what makes them stand out among the other options on this list, is that they partner with award-winning chefs to bring you their plant-based meals in the comfort of your own home. For example, on their Mosaic+ menu, they work with chefs such as Pierre Thiam of Teranga to bring you his famous African ndambe dish.
Types Of Meals Mosaic Foods Offers: Lunches and dinners.
Starting Price: $5 to $11 per meal
Our Favorite Mosaic Foods Vegan Meals:
- Tangy Thai Stir Fry
- Mushroom Truffle Risotto
- Yellow Dal Curry
Why It Made This List:
- While frozen, I never felt like these were comparable to the typical frozen dinners we’re all used to seeing at the grocery store. The majority of the meals we’ve had were not only delicious but had a “gourmet” feel to them.
- With meals around the $5 price point, they’re a budget-friendly option.
- They’re the only vegan meal delivery service on this list that partners directly with award-winning chefs to bring you frozen versions of their plant-based meals.
Best For High Protein Vegan Meals
What It Is: Fresh n Lean is one of our favorite prepared meal delivery services. This is because they check all the right boxes—tons of variety, delicious meals, high quality ingredients, and very convenient. When it comes to vegan meals, they offer two different plans, their classic Vegan Plan and Low-Carb Vegan Plan. What makes Fresh n Lean stand out among the others on this list is that they prioritize high-protein vegan meals. I’ve found that many of their meals use a plant-based meat as the base (for example, Chick’n and Beyond Meat). I’ve found that many of their vegan meals come in at over 15 grams of protein per serving.
Types Of Meals Fresh n Lean Offers: Breakfasts, lunches, dinners, snacks, and desserts.
Starting Price: The Vegan Standard meal plan starts at $8 per meal and the Vegan Low-Carb meal plan starts at $9 per meal.
Our Favorite Fresh n Lean Vegan Meals:
- Herb Roasted Potatoes With Green Beans And Plant Based Chickn
- Arroz Con Vegetales And Beyond Beef Crumbles
- Tikka Masala Veggies
Why It Made This List:
- Fresh n Lean is the only vegan meal delivery option on this list with two plans to choose from. One prioritizing high-protein and the other prioritizing low-carbs.
- They offer a la carte ordering so you can try them out before subscribing or purchase in bulk to stock up on vegan meals.
- They use high-quality ingredients—organic produce, locally sourced, non-GMO, and gluten-free.
Food Box HQ Note: Fresh n Lean vacuum seals their meals. While this keeps them fresh, I found that they are very hard to open (even using a knife) since the plastic container is sealed so tightly. Keep this in mind if you have mobility issues, arthritis, etc.
If you read through the above list and nothing stuck out as particularly right for your lifestyle, that’s okay. Rather than a prepared meal delivery service or a meal kit, you may be better suited for a grocery delivery service or vegan meal planner app. Here are two great options to consider:
Having started out as one of the biggest plant-based meal delivery services, Hungryroot recently shifted their service to become more of a hybrid grocery delivery service. They are no longer 100% plant-based (now offering some lean animal proteins) but the vast majority of the items they do offer are vegan. What makes them unique and why we included them in this list is that they allow you to shop by recipe. This means you can search through their list of vegan recipes and easily add all the items necessary to make that meal. Beyond that though, you can shop for produce, pantry essentials, and even premade foods. If you’re looking for a delicious dessert, I am obsessed with their black bean brownie batter. It tastes nearly identical to brownie batter, can be eaten straight from the cup or cooked, and the main ingredients are simply black beans, almond butter, coconut sugar, and chocolate.
If you’d prefer to cook the meals yourself and not use a meal kit, 22 Days Nutrition has a wonderful vegan meal planner that makes finding recipes and getting the ingredients very simple. You can personalize the type of recipes you’d like to receive based on how much time you’d like to spend cooking. You can then browse vegan breakfast, lunch, and dinner recipes that best fit your lifestyle. Once you’ve made your picks, the app integrates with Amazon Fresh, Instacart, and PeaPod so you can ingredients over to any of those grocery delivery services and have them automatically delivered.
How We Selected The Vegan Meal Delivery Services On This List
These days there are more vegan meal delivery services available than ever before. However, that doesn’t mean that every one is worth using. In fact, over the years, we’ve tried dozens of vegan meal boxes from nearly every nationwide vegan meal delivery service and only a few met our standards for this list.
Here’s how we narrowed down our top picks.
First, we started by researching all of the vegan meal delivery services that deliver nationwide. While there are great local vegan meal delivery services out there, we had to focus on services that can deliver to everyone reading this article, regardless of where they live in the United States. We also referenced the PETA-approved meal delivery services here so we had expert guidance to from the get-go.
We then went over all of our past vegan meal delivery reviews, notes, and YouTube footage from vegan boxes we’ve tried over the years. This is where we began to narrow down the list since some vegan meal delivery services we previously would’ve considered have either gone out of business or changed their service completely.
Once we had a list of all the operating vegan meal delivery services that can deliver nationwide, we further narrowed down the list by the criteria listed at the beginning of the article:
- Must be fully vegan compliant or have a vegan meal plan option that offers a minimum of 7 fully vegan meal options per week.
- Must use high-quality ingredients whenever possible.
- Must offer either premade meals or a meal kit.
At this point, there were a few options that made the cut but we still removed them from the list. Here are those vegan meal delivery services and why we removed them:
- Revive Superfoods: We didn’t included Revive Superfoods because we found that Daily Harvest offers a superior service with more options.
- Splendid Spoon: We considered Splendid Spoon but, like Revive Superfoods, we found that Daily Harvest offers a comparable and superior vegan meal delivery service.
- Sakara Life: We didn’t include Sakara Life because at nearly $30 per meal, their vegan meal delivery service is easily the most expensive meal delivery service I have ever encountered.
- Green Chef: We considered Green Chef’s plant-powered plan but decided against including them since it is not fully vegan and many meals include animal proteins.
- Sunbasket: We considered Sunbasket’s vegan meal plan decided against it because they only offer around 4 vegan meals per week.
Premade Vegan Meal Delivery vs. Vegan Meal Kits
All of the vegan meal delivery service options listed above fall into two categories—premade meal delivery or meal kits. Both options have their pros and cons.
Premade meal delivery services are very convenient, since there is zero preparation or cooking involved. This makes them a good option for those who are on the go or don’t necessarily enjoy cooking. What I personally enjoy about premade vegan meal delivery services is that they have allowed me to test out going vegan without fully committing.
Do keep in mind that premade meal delivery services are usually a bit more expensive than meal kits.
On the flip side, vegan meal kits are a great way to learn and understand vegan cooking. There’s no hassle trying to find vegan recipes and all of the ingredients at your local grocery store. That being said, there is a bigger time investment because you’re prepping and cooking everything yourself. I’ve found this especially so with Purple Carrot.
Frequently Asked Vegan Meal Delivery Service Questions
Having tried and reviewed nearly every vegan meal delivery service that delivers nationwide, we’ve received a lot of comments and questions about them over the years. I’ve rounded up the most frequently asked questions to help anyone else looking for the right answers…
What Are The Cheapest Vegan Meal Delivery Services?
Thankfully, there are plant-based meal delivery services that are budget-friendly. In my experience, MamaSezz and Mosaic Foods offer some of the cheapest options (around $5 per meal) depending on what you order. For the absolute cheapest option though, you may want to consider a produce delivery service such as Misfits Market or Imperfect Foods. Both of these services offer discounted produce delivery.
Is Shipping Vegan Meals Safe?
This was actually something I was worried about very early on when we started this site and began exploring what vegan meal delivery services to order. My biggest fear was that the food was going to get warm in the box, spoil, and possibly make me sick. All of the options on this list use excellent packaging materials (some are even compostable) that insulate the box to keep the meals cold while in transit. I highly suggest watching the unboxing section of our video reviews to see how each vegan meal delivery service insulates their packaging if this is something you care about.
Are Any Vegan Meal Delivery Services Good For Weight Loss?
Not every option on this list has a vegan weight loss plan but a few do. Veestro offers a vegan weight loss plan that offers 3 meals a day that comes to about 1200 calories. Fresh n Lean has their Low-Carb Vegan plan. Lastly, MamaSezz has a specific weight loss bundle.
What Is The Most Environmentally Responsible Vegan Meal Delivery Service?
A big reason why someone may want to go vegan is because of the environmental aspects. It’s definitely one of the main reasons Emily and I have started incorporating more vegan meals into our diet. Studies have shown that going vegan could be the single best way to reduce your environmental impact on the earth. However, meal delivery services in general are not without their own negative environmental effects (such as increased waste and single-use plastics). From my own research into this topic, I found that Green Chef and Purple Carrot are two of the most sustainable vegan meal delivery services out there.
Have a question we didn’t answer? Have you tried any of the vegan meal delivery services on this list or any others? Let us know in the comments below!