As we age, there are many things in life that can become challenging, including preparing meals for yourself each day. If you don’t have someone around to help you out, it can be an incredibly stressful (an often dangerous) experience. Fortunately, there are ways to make it easier to get a meal on the table without resorting to frozen dinners all the time.
One of the best ways to relieve the stress of meal prep as a senior or for a senior loved one is by subscribing to a meal delivery service that has options that seniors would find beneficial. Keep reading to learn the benefits of these types of services, which are the best, and more…
The Benefits of Meal Delivery Services for Seniors
Meal delivery services are a booming industry because of the convenience they provide to their customers. And seniors are no exception. No matter your age, you can find a meal kit service that’s suitable for your needs. Here’s why we think they can be incredibly beneficial for seniors specifically:
- It’s the ultimate in convenience. Think about it for a second… Putting dinner on the table can sometimes be a hassle, even for those of us who are cooking pros. You need to meal plan, go grocery shopping, and then you’ll spend ages prepping and cooking meals. This is even more challenging if you struggle to find someone to take you to the store if you no longer drive. But the great news is, with a meal delivery service, your food gets delivered straight to your door. It relieves a lot of the steps that could be causing stress for seniors.
- There’s no need to worry about kitchen accidents. The unfortunate reality is that things get harder to do as we age, which means accidents can happen on occasion. Issues with balance, forgetfulness, or even difficulty gripping knives or pots and pans can pose a real threat in the kitchen. In fact, some of the most common senior accidents are fires from cooking and other food-related accidents. Luckily, using a meal delivery service makes it easier to prepare breakfast, lunch, or dinner, thus potentially preventing accidents and helping you to live as independently as possible.
- You’ll get healthy, balanced meals. If planning meals is a dreaded weekly task for you, why not have someone else handle it? There are plenty of senior meal delivery services that offer healthy and nutritious meals that ensure you’re feeding your body with exactly what it needs.
- It’s less stress on your caregivers. Your family and those caring for you won’t have to worry about whether or not you’re eating well. They’ll have peace of mind knowing you’ll receive weekly deliveries of quality meals that are much better than the frozen options at the grocery store packed with preservatives, sodium, and more.
Prepared vs. Ready-to-Cook Meals
When choosing the right meal delivery service for you, there’s one question you have to ask yourself before diving in. Do you want already prepared meals that simply need to be heated? Or would you prefer to receive a recipe and fresh ingredients, allowing you to cook the meal yourself? It all depends what you’re comfortable with! Luckily, there are plenty of services for each type of option so you won’t be limited.
With the already prepared meals, they’re typically made by a team of chefs and are shipped to you flash-frozen or refrigerated. When you’re ready to enjoy a meal, you can heat it in the microwave or the oven depending on the instructions. Either way, it’s a simple and fast way to get dinner on the table.
However, if you love to cook, you’ll probably prefer to spend a little more time in the kitchen. You can opt for a service that sends fresh, pre-portioned ingredients straight to your door. There are even some that do most of the prep for you ahead of time (e.g. cut the vegetables) which we’ll cover in this article. It cuts down on your grocery shopping, cuts down on the hassle of prepping ingredients, and eliminates food waste.
What Should You Consider Before Ordering?
If you’re sold on the idea of getting a senior-friendly meal delivery service, there are tons of options out there to consider. In fact, it can be a little overwhelming to pick the right one. The good news is, you won’t be locked into any kind of long-term subscription, so you’re able to try out a few before you finally settle on your favorite one.
To help you choose, here are a few things to consider:
- Dietary requirements. Many of us have specific dietary requirements which prevent us from eating certain foods or prompt us to increase our intake of others. If you follow a specific diet, take some time to check out the ingredients used and the menu of any meal delivery service you’re interested in. Make sure the dishes they offer will provide you with all the nutrients your body needs to stay happy and healthy.
- Eating well should never break the bank. Since there are so many meal delivery services currently on the market, it’s safe to say there’s one for every price point. Think about how much you’d like to spend on your meals each week and see if you can find a service that fits within your budget. And remember that it can save money too when you consider the fact that you’re cutting down on food waste.
- Amount of meals needed per week. Another thing to be aware of is how many meals you’d like to receive each week. Some meal delivery services only provide you with dinner three nights per week. However, there are others that offer breakfast, lunch, and dinner and some that allow you to order meals for all seven days of the week.
- Ability to cook. And finally, you also want to consider your ability to cook. As mentioned above, there are services that send already made meals that you simply need to heat. If you’re unable to cook (or you just don’t enjoy it), this will be the better option for you. But if you love to spend time in the kitchen, try out one that sends a recipe and fresh ingredients.
9 Senior Meal Delivery Services to Try
Alright, let’s get to the good stuff… The food! Since you’re probably eager to check out these senior meal delivery services, this round-up has nine options for you to consider. Each one will help make mealtime easier while still providing you with delicious food.
1. Silver Cuisine by BistroMD
Designed specifically for a senior’s needs, BistroMD created Silver Cuisine. This service gives you chef-prepared meals right in the comfort of your own home. No need to venture out to get delicious meals every day when everything you need gets delivered to your door. The great thing about BistroMD is that they provide options for breakfast, lunch, and dinner so all your meals are taken care of.
You can enjoy things like their Artichoke Spinach and Roasted Red Pepper Frittata for breakfast, the Blackened Chicken with Creamy, Smoked Paprika Sauce for lunch, and then the Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf with Yuca Fries for dinner. The best part? All of these meals are already prepared for you and the only work you need to do is to pop them in the microwave.
2. Fresh n’ Lean
If you’re searching for fresh, organic, and ready-to-eat meals, you’ll want to check out Fresh n’ Lean. They’re committed to sourcing locally-grown, organic, whole-food ingredients that you can feel good about eating. There are no additives or preservatives here — just food that’s packed with rich, natural flavor.
Everything is prepared by their team of professional chefs, packed into eco-friendly, oven and microwave-safe containers, and shipped to you. In just a matter of minutes, you can have dishes like their Cumin Spinach Lentils with Wild Salmon, Chipotle Bell Pepper Rice with Cage-Free Chicken Breast, or the Roma Tomato Rice with Grass-Fed Ground Beef.
For those who are looking to shed a few pounds, there are meal delivery services specifically designed to help you in this area. One of them is Diet-to-Go, which helps you lose weight thanks to weekly deliveries of healthy, chef-prepared meals. This could be especially handy for those who need to lose weight for medical reasons and have no idea where to start.
Diet-to-Go has their basic Balance plan, which provides you with calorie-controlled and nutritionally-balanced meals. They’re also heart-healthy so you aren’t going overboard on sodium, carbs, fat, or cholesterol. This plan has options for breakfast, lunch, and dinner such as the Blueberry Pancakes with Turkey Sausage, Mediterranean Pizza, and Baked Salmon with Pineapple Salsa. There’s also a plan designed for those with diabetes, vegetarian eaters, and a Keto-Carb30 option.
4. Mom’s Meals
Another option for those interested in already-made meals is Mom’s Meals. Since everything is prepared for you, it only takes a few minutes to heat up for your food and put a great meal on the table. Plus, the dishes that Mom’s Meals sends will last up to 14 days from the date of delivery, giving you a good amount of time to enjoy them.
Using wholesome ingredients, your breakfast, lunch, and dinner are all taken care of with this meal delivery service. While the menu does change, you can expect to find breakfast options like the Biscuit with Pork Sausage Gravy or their Cinnamon French Toast Sticks with Chipotle Berry Sauce & Turkey Sausage. For lunch, you can have Broccoli Cheese Soup and Spiced Blueberry Apple Crisp and then have Grilled Chicken Breast with Orange Wild Rice Salad & Spiced Fruit Medley for dinner.
5. Magic Kitchen
With Magic Kitchen, you have two options. You can choose to order complete meals that come with an entrée and one to two sides or you can go a la carte to pick whatever you’d like. You really can’t go wrong either way, especially since Magic Kitchen provides you with plenty of food options for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Plus, they offer desserts and snacks!
Their meals are prepared ahead of time and then flash-frozen, but are still nutritious and delicious. If you’re interested in complete meals to really make things easy, you’ll find Basil Chicken with Rice & Zucchini Sauté, Beef Lasagna with Peas & Carrots, and Bruschetta Chicken with Red Skin Potatoes & Green Beans. Just don’t forget to order a carrot cake or their chocolate ganache cake to satisfy that sweet tooth!
How would it sound to have dinner ready in just 15 minutes? Pretty magical, right? Well, that’s exactly what Gobble promises to help you do! The reason dinner can be ready so quickly is that the chefs on Gobble’s team are going to do all the hard work for you. They peel, chop, and marinate so you don’t have to. That’s perfect for anyone who just doesn’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen.
You can choose from tons of options on their weekly menu, which includes meals that are gluten-free, dairy-free, low-carb, and vegetarian. They have tasty choices like their Parmesan-Crusted Chicken with Lemon-Basil Orzo Salad, Chicken Florentine Rigatoni Bake with Sun-Dried Tomatoes, and the Thai Basil Chicken with Brown Rice.
7. Green Chef
For those who love to cook and are still able to do so, a service like Green Chef will be perfect. Instead of sending you already made meals, you’ll receive fresh, pre-portioned ingredients to prepare dinner yourself. All you have to do is follow the recipe, which features step-by-step instructions and photos. Everything you need is in the box and it’s been pre-measured and prepped for you to save you some time and hassle.
Green Chef has various meal plans based on your dietary needs, such as Keto, Paleo, Omnivore, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, and Pescatarian. The menu changes each week, which meals you’ll never be bored with the options they have. With the Omnivore plan, you can expect to find things like their Italian Sausage Puttanesca, Sesame-Glazed Pork Tenderloin, Turmeric Diced Steak, and Red Coconut Curry.
8. Sun Basket
Love to cook? Passionate about using only organic produce and clean ingredients for your meals? You’ll definitely want to check out Sun Basket then! They are committed to using fresh, seasonal produce from some of the best farm’s around the country. Everything is 99% organic and 100% non-GMO. Sun Basket also uses antibiotic-free and hormone-free meats, as well as wild-caught, sustainably-sourced seafood. All of it comes from ranchers and fishermen they trust.
Their meal plans include: Chef’s Choice, Paleo, Lean & Clean, Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Mediterranean, Vegan, Pescatarian, Diabetes-Friendly, and Quick & Easy. There’s something for everyone here, which is definitely a plus. Their menu has dinner options like Steak and Roasted Sweet Potato with Scallion-Ginger Relish, Guatemalan Turkey Soup with White Beans and Fresh Herbs, and Mediterranean Lemon Chicken with Artichoke Ragout.
Finally, for those who want to keep it simple and incredibly affordable, Dinnerly is right up your alley. They’re focused on easy recipes that include just six ingredients to cut down on the kitchen hassle. Plus, at $4.99 per serving, it’s reasonably priced while still providing you with dinners that taste great.
Dinnerly will provide you with the ingredients you need to whip up your dinner in no time at all. Their rotating menu will feature meals such as the Skillet Turkey Meatball Parm with Garlic Bread “Soldiers” & Salad, Creamy Tortelloni with Peas & Garlicky Panko, and Chinese BBQ Chicken with Rice & Pickled Cucumbers.
Honorable Mention… Shipt!
If you aren’t interested in a meal delivery service right now, but you still want a way to make mealtime easier, there are options! For many seniors, they are no longer driving and find it difficult to make it to the grocery store each week. You might have to rely on rides from family or public transportation, which can be a struggle when you have a lot of bags.
Instead of dealing with that stress, you can use a grocery delivery service like Shipt to bring everything to your door. You simply need to make your grocery list and then someone else will take care of getting everything you need and bringing it to you. It’s easy and allows you to sit back and relax instead of worrying about how you’ll get groceries.
Last Updated on