Are you tired of receiving meal kits from HelloFresh that you no longer want or need? Have you found a new meal delivery service that better fits your tastes and schedule? Maybe you’ve decided to go back to cooking meals from scratch...
Whatever the reason, canceling your HelloFresh subscription is a straightforward process that can be done online (on their website or app), over the phone, via chat support, and even through email.
In this article, I’ll guide you through the process of canceling your HelloFresh account and provide tips on how to make the process as smooth as possible.
I'll also go over how to reactivate your account (should you change your mind), the difference between skipping a delivery and canceling your subscription, how to make changes to your subscription, and how to fully delete your account.
Finally, I’ll give you a list of our favorite HelloFresh alternatives to consider.
By the end of this post, you will have all the information you need to confidently cancel your HelloFresh subscription and move on to your next culinary adventure.
Have An Issue With HelloFresh? Here’s What To Do Before Canceling
Having tried hundreds of different food boxes, I know how frustrating it can be when something goes wrong. From receiving a damaged package to spoiled ingredients, you don’t want to flush your hard earned money down the drain.
If you’ve experienced a problem with your HelloFresh meal kit, there are a few steps you should take before canceling your subscription.
Step #1: Contact HelloFresh Customer Service
The first step is to reach out to HelloFresh's customer service team to report the issue and request a resolution.
You can contact them through their website, app, or over the phone. Be sure to have your order number and any relevant information about the issue on hand.
From my experience, HelloFresh is very willing to remedy most issues that arise. However, other customers have had shared some horror stories.
Step #2: Review Your Options
When you explain your issue, HelloFresh customer service will likely offer one of three options:
- Send a replacement meal.
- Provide a credit towards a future order.
- Refund the box entirely.
While I’ve personally never had any issues with HelloFresh that warranted contacting customer support, most of the customer support encounters I’ve heard about have ended with the customer receiving an account credit.
If you are still not satisfied with their proposed resolution, you can move forward with canceling your subscription.
Step #3: Consider The Impact Of Canceling
If you have already paid for a subscription or have a box already scheduled to be sent out, consider the financial impact of canceling. If the cutoff time for having your box sent has already passed, you may be locked into another order.
Before canceling, I highly recommend going into your account to see if you have another box already on the way. While you’re there, you should skip as many weeks as you can to ensure that you aren’t charged should the cancelation process somehow get extended.
Step #4: Research Alternative Meal Delivery Services
If you decide to cancel your HelloFresh subscription, you may want to research other meal delivery options to see if there is a meal kit that better meets your needs. Luckily, you’re in the right spot to do that. A little later on in this article we’re going to go over my favorite HelloFresh alternatives.
By following these steps, you can ensure that you make an informed decision about whether or not to cancel your HelloFresh subscription and find an alternative meal kit that meets your needs.
How To Cancel Your HelloFresh Account & Stop Subscriptions
There are 5 main ways you can cancel your HelloFresh account in order to stop your subscription. We cover each below…
How To Cancel Your HelloFresh Account On Their Website
Canceling your HelloFresh meal kit subscription on the website is fairly a simple process that can be done in a few steps:
- Go to the HelloFresh website and log in to your account.
- Click on your name located in the top right corner of the homepage.
- In the dropdown, click “Account Settings”.
- Scroll down to the "Status" section and click on the "Cancel Subscription" button.
- A page will appear that will give you multiple ways to contact their customer support team. Below that you will see a “Cancel Anyway” button, click that.
- Another window will appear with a list of reasons for canceling your subscription. Select the reason that best applies to you and click "Continue to Cancel."
- You will be asked to confirm your cancellation. Click on the "Cancel Subscription" button to confirm.
- You will receive a confirmation email once your subscription has been successfully canceled.
How To Cancel Your HelloFresh Account On Their Mobile App
Canceling your HelloFresh account on their mobile app is just as simple as on their website.
- Open the HelloFresh app on your mobile device and log in to your account.
- At the bottom of the screen, click “Settings”.
- Click on “Preference Settings”.
- Tap on the "Cancel Subscription" button.
- A pop-up window will appear with a list of reasons for canceling your subscription. Select the reason that best applies to you and tap "Continue to Cancel."
- You will be asked to confirm your cancellation. Tap on the "Cancel Subscription" button to confirm.
- You will receive a confirmation notification once your subscription has been successfully canceled.
How To Cancel Your HelloFresh Account Over The Phone
Canceling your HelloFresh account over the phone requires a little more work than doing it on their website or through their mobile app. Here are the steps to take…
- Call HelloFresh's customer service number at 1 (646) 846-3663.
- When the call is answered, let the customer service representative know that you would like to cancel your account.
- The representative will ask for your account information to verify your identity and locate your account.
- The representative will also ask for your reason for canceling and may try to offer you a promotion or discount to continue your service.
- If you still wish to cancel, the representative will process your request and cancel your account.
- Before leaving the call with the customer support representative, be sure to ask them to send you email confirmation that they canceled your account.
How To Cancel Your HelloFresh Account Over Email
Canceling your HelloFresh account over email may take a little longer than through the other options listed above but it does ensure that your cancelation request is written (for your own records). Here are the steps to follow:
- Email email@example.com and request that your account be canceled. Be sure to include your full name and email address you used to sign up.
- Wait until you hear back from a customer support representative. It may take up to 2-3 days.
- When you hear back, the customer support representative may try to offer you promotions to stay. Ask to continue the cancelation process.
- Once the customer support representative lets you know that your account will be canceled, be on the lookout for a cancelation confirmation email.
I’ve heard from other HelloFresh customers that sometimes customer support will try to get you to go through your account settings to cancel the account yourself. You can do that by following the steps listed above under “How To Cancel Your HelloFresh Account On Their Website” but if you respond and ask them to please cancel the account on their end, they should be able to process it for you.
How To Cancel Your HelloFresh Account Over Live Chat
Canceling your HelloFresh account over their live chat support is nearly the same as doing it over email. Here are the steps you’ll want to take:
- Go to the HelloFresh website and log in to your account.
- Look for a link or button that says "Contact Us", then click on “Chat.” This will open a chat window where you can speak with their virtual chat assistant.
- In the chat box, type “cancel account.” This will bring up a button that says, “Talk to agent.” Click that button.
- Inform the agent that you would like to cancel your HelloFresh account. They will ask for your account information and may ask you to provide a reason for canceling.
- Follow the prompts from the agent to complete the cancellation process. You may need to confirm your cancellation and provide additional information.
- Once you have completed the cancellation process, the agent will confirm that your account has been canceled and provide any additional information you may need.
Regardless of which way you cancel your HelloFresh account, you will want to verify it has been canceled immediately after doing so. To do this, go to your account settings and look under the “Status” section. It should say, “Canceled.”
How To Reactivate Your HelloFresh Account
Canceling your HelloFresh account puts it on an indefinite hold. This means you can reactivate it at any time you’d like in the future. It’s a very simple process, just follow these steps:
- Log into your HelloFresh account (on their website or mobile app).
- You should see a button that says “Reactivate Account.” Click that button.
- This will walk you through the process of confirming your plan, payment details, and next box of meals.
Skipping vs. Canceling Your HelloFresh Account
Sometimes people cancel their account when they mean to skip weeks with HelloFresh. Skipping weeks will pause your account so that you will not receive a box of meals for the week that you skip. You will also not be charged for the week skipped.
Canceling your account is like skipping indefinitely. It will pause your account until you choose to come back, if you ever want to.
How To Make Changes To Your HelloFresh Account
If you’re having issues with your HelloFresh subscription plan such as you want to receive less meals or change your delivery address, you don’t have to immediately jump to canceling your account.
You can update your personal details within your account settings by going to “Plan Settings”. There you’ll be able to change your delivery address and payment settings.
If you want to make changes to your meal plan (such as decreasing the amount of meals or serving sizes) you have two ways to do so—a one-time switch or a switch for all future deliveries.
You can make a one-time switch by “My Menu” in your account, clicking on “Edit Delivery”, and clicking on “Change Box Size.” From there you can select the number of people and recipes you’d like to receive.
You can make a switch for all future deliveries by going to your account and selecting “Plan Settings”. Under the “Meal Preferences” section you can select your preferred serving size, number of people, and number of meals needed.
Deleting Your Account
As mentioned above, canceling your account is like pausing your subscription indefinitely. You will not receive any meals and you also won’t be charged but you can reactivate your account at any time.
If you are 100% sure you do not want to ever reactivate your account and you would prefer to have your personal information wiped from HelloFresh's records, you must delete your account.
Looking For Better Meal Kits? There Are Our Favorite HelloFresh Alternatives
If you’ve made up your mind to cancel HelloFresh, you may be on the lookout for better options out there. Lucky for you, there are a few great alternatives that offer a variety of different features
Here are some of my favorite HelloFresh alternatives…
If you’re looking for an all-around better meal delivery experience, Sunbasket is hard to beat. Not only are they a meal kit (where they send you recipes and the ingredients to make the meal), they also offer pre-made meals, and marketplace packed with grocery options.
When compared to HelloFresh, Sunbasket has a significantly larger selection of meals to choose from. In addition to their standard meal plan, they offer specialized options for those following plant-based, paleo, keto, and other diets. Sunbasket is also dedicated to using organic and sustainably sourced ingredients in their meals, making them a more environmentally-conscious choice.
If your main gripe with HelloFresh is that the meals didn’t feel gourmet enough, Marley Spoon could be the meal kit you’re looking for.
Marley Spoon is a meal kit that partners with Martha Stewart, a well-known chef and lifestyle expert. With Marley Spoon, Stewart brings her culinary expertise to the meal kit meals that are sent to you, curating a selection of recipes that adhere to her high standards for taste and quality.
They source ingredients from local farms and aim to use high-quality, fresh ingredients in their meals, making it a convenient and enjoyable way for people to cook healthy, home-cooked meals.
If HelloFresh was just too expensive for you to continue subscribing to, Dinnerly could be a better option to consider.
Like HelloFresh, Dinnerly is a meal kit that provides ingredients and recipes for home-cooked meals. However, where they differ from HelloFresh is in price. At around $5 per meal, Dinnerly aims to provide a convenient and affordable option for people who want to cook at home but don't have the time or energy to plan and shop for meals.
You may be wondering how Dinnerly is able to keep their meals so much cheaper than HelloFresh’s. There’s a few ways that they do this:
- Simplified recipes: Dinnerly's recipes are designed to be simple and easy to prepare, which may reduce the need for expensive ingredients or special equipment.
- Limited menu: Dinnerly offers a limited selection of meals each week, which can help streamline the ingredient sourcing and recipe development process to reduce overall costs.
- Digital recipe cards: Dinnerly provides digital recipe cards rather than printed recipe cards, which can help keep costs low.
If HelloFresh just isn’t right for you, canceling your account can be done a variety of different ways. You'll want be sure that you verify your account is canceled by checking your email for a confirmation email and checking your plan status (which should say “canceled”).
If you want to explore even more meal kits that may better suit your needs, feel free to browse all of our meal kit reviews here.