Unhappy with HelloFresh? Looking to try some of their competitors?
Lucky for you, not only are there dozens of meal delivery services to choose from these days, there are some great HelloFresh alternatives out there. Whether you're looking for a less expensive meal kit option, an easier meal kit to prepare, or simply want the meals to come premade, there are a lot of HelloFresh competitors that could satisfy your needs.
To help you make the right decision when choosing a different meal kit than HelloFresh, we've rounded up our favorites.
We've personally reviewed, taste tested, and purchased all of the meal delivery options you see below. If you have any questions or you're looking for a more personalized suggestion, let us know in the comments!
Best For A Similar HelloFresh Experience
What It Is: Blue Apron, like HelloFresh, is one of the most well known meal kits on the market. In addition to their classic Signature meal plan, they also offer a Vegetarian plan and Wellness plan. While the Vegetarian plan is self-explanatory, the Wellness plan is geared towards those looking to eat more balanced meals. This includes lower carbohydrate meal options and WW (Weight Watchers) approved options.
Our Experience Using Blue Apron: If you're looking for the classic meal kit experience and for whatever reason you don't want to use HelloFresh, Blue Apron is a great option to consider. Having used both HelloFresh and Blue Apron since 2017, I've found that they are very similar meal kits. What I enjoy most about Blue Apron is that they allow you to pair their wines with your dinners. This made it feel like more of a culinary experience, rather than simply making dinner, as you do with HelloFresh. Also, from my experience, Blue Apron has some of the best plant-based meat recipes. They use Beyond Meat in many of their vegetarian recipes.
Types Of Meals Offered: Lunch and dinner.
Diets Blue Apron Covers: Low-carb, Weight Watchers, and vegetarian.
Lowest Price Per Meal: $7.49
Our Favorite Blue Apron Meals:
- Vadouvan Chicken & Mango Chutney Sauce with Green Beans & Mustard Seed Rice
- Pan-Seared Steaks & Hot Honey Biscuits with Glazed Shallot & Sautéed Kale
- Garlic-Caper Chicken with Creamy Calabrian Zucchini & Orzo
Why Blue Apron Is A Good HelloFresh Alternative:
- Unlike HelloFresh, Blue Apron offers wine pairings, which I personally really enjoyed with our meals.
- If you're looking to make some dinners a bit easier, Blue Apron now has Heat and Eat meals which are premade. They simply need to be warmed up in the microwave or oven. I suggest using the oven for better taste.
- While it's not as extensive as others on this list, Blue Apron does have a marketplace where you can purchase meal kit bundles, wine bundles, their exclusive spices, and a huge variety of kitchen tools (such as knives, pots, pans, and literal blue aprons).
- They have a very well designed recipe card that makes it easy to follow the directions and understand what needs to be done at any given moment. This makes Blue Apron a good option for those who may be looking to use a meal kit to learn how to cook. Here's a look at what the recipe card looks like and how it's structured.
- From my experience, Blue Apron's meals are a bit more "pared back" when compared to HelloFresh's. If you're not a big adventurous eater or you're more of a picky eater, Blue Apron might be a good alternative to consider.
More Variety Than HelloFresh
What It Is: Sunbasket is another highly popular meal kit service that grew to become a major HelloFresh competitor. They are one of the most impressive meal delivery services currently available due to the fact that they cover nearly every aspect of meal delivery. If you'd prefer to cook meals yourself, Sunbasket has traditional meal kit options. If you'd rather not cook the meals, Sunbasket offers a variety of premade meal options. Though, what makes them really stand out in comparison to HelloFresh is their extensive marketplace which features everything from pastas and meats to sides and snacks.
Our Experience Using Sunbasket: Having used Sunbasket since 2017, it is my personal favorite meal kit. That doesn't necessarily mean it's right for everyone but I have been highly impressed with every box we've received. Why? Sunbasket excels at quality and variety. The quality of their meals is exceptionally high—from the taste to the ingredients that they source. And when it comes to variety, it's hard to beat Sunbasket. They have a huge menu and marketplace filled with some of the tastiest dishes I've ever had, from cuisines around the world. I found their meals to be a bit more adventurous than most other meal kits out there but I personally like that. I also love that they have variety in terms of meal types—from different diets to offering meals for every time of day (and then some).
Types Of Meals Offered: Breakfast, lunch, dinner, sides, and snacks.
Diets Sunbasket Covers: Vegan, vegetarian, paleo, low-calorie, low-carb, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, and diabetes friendly.
Lowest Price Per Meal: $9.99
Our Favorite Sunbasket Meals:
- Sicilian rigatoni with orange segments and roasted cauliflower
- Masala turkey kebabs with cauliflower “rice” and cashew chutney
- Shredded chicken and sweet potato hash with soft-cooked eggs
Why Sunbasket Is A Good HelloFresh Alternative:
- Sunbasket offers an impressive amount of meal variety compared to HelloFresh. This includes traditional meal kits, oven ready meals, premade meals, and a full marketplace where you can add on extra meats, pastas, sides, and snacks.
- I found the portion sizes of most of Sunbasket's meals to be bigger than HelloFresh's. However, this will depend on the individual meals as well as if they are premade or not.
- From my experience, Sunbasket offers more adventurous meals than HelloFresh does. This includes more Asian and Indian cuisines.
Easier To Prepare Than HelloFresh
What It Is: Home Chef is another classic meal kit that gained popularity right around the time when HelloFresh became a household name. Their meals focus on being as simple and efficient to make as possible. That means recipes with less steps and preparation involved, as well as many oven-ready options.
Our Experience Using Home Chef: Home Chef was the first meal kit Emily and I ever purchased and reviewed on our YouTube channel (check it out here). Since then Home Chef has grown and evolved into a one of the more straightforward meal kits on the market. From my experience, their meals focus on being as simple to cook as possible and they've leaned into that even more since our first box back in 2017. In fact, our favorite Home Chef meals are often from their "15 Minute Meal Kit" line or their oven-ready meals.
Types Of Meals Offered: Lunch, dinner, sides, and add ons (such as desserts and meats).
Diets Home Chef Covers: Low-calorie, low-carb, and vegetarian.
Lowest Price Per Meal: $8.99
Our Favorite Home Chef Meals:
- Korean Fried Chicken with Edamame Rice
- Chicken Banh Mi Lettuce Wraps with Sriracha Mayo
- Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Beef Tri-Tip Penne with Parmesan and Red Pepper Flakes
Why Home Chef Is A Good HelloFresh Alternative:
- Home Chef is one of the most easy to use meal kits out there—even if you don't know much about cooking. They even have a full line of premade meals called "Fresh & Easy", which is technically a different meal plan but under the Home Chef brand.
- If you're unsatisfied with HelloFresh's portion sizes, Home Chef could be a good alternative. From my experience, Home Chef has some of the biggest portion sizes when compared to other meal kits.
- If you'd rather not subscribe, you can purchase Home Chef meal kits at your local Kroger.
More Gourmet Meals Than HelloFresh
What It Is: Marley Spoon, often called "Martha & Marley Spoon", is Martha Stewart's meal kit. It's most known for taking gourmet meals and making the recipes a bit easier to prep and cook.
Our Experience Using Marley Spoon: Using Marley Spoon very much felt like a Martha Stewart experience. The meals are usually very decadent but at the same time have a warm and homestyle feel to them. I found that their meal kit captures the essence of the Martha Stewart brand very well. One thing I do want to note is that the recipes can sometimes be a little hit or miss. It doesn't happen often but more so than with other meal kits we've used.
Types Of Meals Offered: Lunch, dinner, and desserts.
Diets Marley Spoon Covers: Vegetarian and vegan.
Lowest Price Per Meal: $8.49
Our Favorite Marley Spoon Meals:
- Creamy Chicken Piccata over Egg Noodles with Roasted Green Beans
- Take-Out Style Skillet Chicken Fajitas
- Skillet Spaghetti & Meat Sauce with Cheesy Romaine Salad
Why Marley Spoon Is A Good HelloFresh Alternative:
- Marley Spoon's main selling point is that they give you the ability to create Martha Stewart inspired meals with ease and, from my experience, I found that to be true.
- They now offer a handful of premade meals you can add to your box.
- Their desserts are truly delicious and may be some of the best desserts I've had compared to any other meal kit.
More Organic Meals Than HelloFresh
What It Is: Green Chef is one of the only USDA certified organic meal kits on the market. They tend to focus on meals that have a "good for you" theme. For example, the meal plans that they currently offer are broken up into Keto + Paleo, Balanced Living, and Plant-Powered.
Our Experience Using Green Chef: I found that Green Chef did a great job of taking "good for you" meals and giving them way more flavor. For example, they did a great job of taking a chicken and veggies dish and turning it into a delicious culinary experience in one of our last boxes. Also, I found Green Chef to be one of the most environmentally friendly meal kits when it comes to their packaging.
Types Of Meals Offered: Lunch and dinner.
Diets Green Chef Covers: Keto, paleo, low-carb, low-calorie, vegetarian, and vegan.
Lowest Price Per Meal: $10.49
Our Favorite Green Chef Meals:
- Thai Peanut Noodle Stir-Fry Baby Bok Choy, Red Bell Pepper, Carrots, Shiitakes
- Roasted Red Curry Chicken With Broccoli, Cabbage Stir-Fry, Shiitake Mushrooms, Coconut, And Cashews
- Balsamic Glazed Beef Patties With Brussels Sprouts, Mushrooms, Pesto, And Feta Cheese
Why Green Chef Is A Good HelloFresh Alternative:
- Green Chef offers way more organic meals than HelloFresh.
- They do a great job of taking healthy meals and making them less boring.
- They are one of the few meal kits that has true keto and paleo options.
Food Box HQ Note: Green Chef is owned by HelloFresh.
Easier Meals To Prep Than HelloFresh
What It Is: Gobble is the ultimate quick and easy meal kit. In fact, they boldly claim that their recipes only take 15 minutes to make. How is this possible? Most of the ingredients come already prepped (for example, pre-chopped) and the recipe steps are fairly straightforward and require little time to move through.
Our Experience Using Gobble: Having used Gobble since 2017, I can say that they are definitely one of the quickest meal kits out there to prep and cook. What I found most interesting though is that the meals do not seem boring in any way (even though they can be made fairly quick). We've made some interesting recipes such as Huevos Rancheros and Turkey Biryani, which didn't seem like they would be quick to make but ended up being done around 15 minutes.
Types Of Meals Offered: Lunch, dinner, sides, and desserts.
Diets Gobble Covers: Vegetarian, low-carb, and low-calorie.
Lowest Price Per Meal: $11.99
Our Favorite Gobble Meals:
- Parmesan-Crusted Chicken with Lemon-Basil Orzo Salad
- Buffalo-Style Burger with Broccoli Slaw & Creamy Buttermilk-Ranch Dressing
- Sautéed Steak with Charred Broccolini & Romesco Sauce
Why Gobble Is A Good HelloFresh Alternative:
- Unlike HelloFresh, Gobble allows you to customize certain meals. This allows you to swap certain meats for others, upgrade the meal, and even add meats to vegetarian meals.
- On a whole, from my experience, Gobble's recipes are much quicker to make than HelloFresh's.
- They offer a large selection of premade add ons, such as soups and salads.
Less Expensive Than HelloFresh
What It Is: Dinnerly is known as one of the least expensive meal kits (along with EveryPlate). In addition to being affordable, they focus on easy to prep and cook meals. This includes a lot of pasta dishes, chicken and veggie meals, as well as some one-pot meals.
Our Experience Using Dinnerly: Dinnerly surprised me. Since they're so much cheaper than other meal kits out there, I initially thought their meals would be boring. That was not the case in my experience. While their meals were not as involved or "gourmet" as others, the meal kit experience itself is as good (if not better) than most of the traditional meal kits I've tried. This means delicious meals, interesting cuisines, and recipes that are easy to follow. What I found Dinnerly does best is pulling back on some of the non-essentials in order to make their meal kit more affordable without sacrificing taste or making things more complicated. For example, their recipes are delivered digitally, rather than within your box, to save on expenses.
Types Of Meals Offered: Breakfast, lunch, dinner, sides, and desserts.
Diets Dinnerly Covers: Low-calorie, vegetarian, and dairy-free.
Lowest Price Per Meal: $4.69
Our Favorite Dinnerly Meals:
- Philly Cheesesteak Burger With Oven Fries
- Crispy Buffalo Tortellini with Spinach Salad & Ranch Dressing
- Creamy Chicken & Spinach Pasta Bake
Why Dinnerly Is A Good HelloFresh Alternative:
- Dinnerly offers much more comfort foods than HelloFresh. For example, more pasta dishes, burgers, and pizzas.
- The per-meal price of Dinnerly is nearly half of what HelloFresh costs.
- I found Dinnerly's recipes to be very simple to make.
- They offer many add ons and extras that HelloFresh doesn't. For example, breakfast burritos, donuts, and some delicious desserts like their Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake Bars.
More Premade Options Than HelloFresh Offers
Fresh n Lean
What It Is: Fresh n Lean is not a traditional meal kit. Rather, they are a premade meal delivery service. I wanted to include them in this list of alternatives to HelloFresh in case anyone was looking for the most efficient and easy to use meal delivery service. With Fresh n Lean there is no prep work or cooking involved and there is very little cleanup (other than throwing away their meal tray). They offer a huge variety of meals, cuisines, and plans, which makes them a really versatile meal delivery option for most people.
Our Experience Using Fresh n Lean: Fresh n Lean is one of my personal favorite premade meal delivery services for many reasons. I found that their meals offered the best balance of taste and nutrition. That seems to be the overarching theme in every meal plan that they offer—Protein+, Keto, Paleo, Vegan (standard and low-carb), Whole30, and Bulk. What I also enjoy about using Fresh n Lean is that I can have all of my meals covered for every day of the week. Many meal kits like HelloFresh really only cover a portion of the meals you eat in a normal week.
Types Of Meals Offered: Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, sides, and add ons.
Diets Fresh n Lean Covers: Keto, paleo, vegan, vegetarian, low-carb, low-calorie, and Whole30.
Lowest Price Per Meal: $9.97
Our Favorite Fresh n Lean Meals:
- Honey Dijon Steak With Vegetables And Rice
- Braised Chili Beef With Vegetables And Brown Rice
- Bearnaise Aioli Drumettes And Sweet Potato And Brown Rice
Why Fresh n Lean Is A Good HelloFresh Alternative:
- If you're looking for the most convenient alternative to HelloFresh, Fresh n Lean is a great option to consider. Since the meals are premade, it can help you save a lot of time.
- All of their meal trays are vacuum sealed, which I found keeps the meals tasting fresher for longer.
- They're one of the only alternatives to HelloFresh on this list that offers bulk ordering (perfect for big eaters).
Unhappy With HelloFresh? Here's What You Should Consider
If you're unsatisfied with HelloFresh for any reason, you should first start by contacting their customer support. From my experience, they are more than willing to help make things right in order to keep their customers subscribed to their service.
That being said, if you've made up your mind and you're looking for a HelloFresh competitor to try, you have a lot of options to consider. The meal delivery services listed above are a great place to start but you may want to explore even further based on your unique lifestyle. For example, maybe a meal kit isn't the best option and you'd prefer to save as much time as possible with a premade meal delivery service. Or, maybe HelloFresh ended up being to expensive. In that case, there are some great inexpensive options to consider.
Feel free to search Food Box HQ, browse our top meal delivery service picks, as well as watch our unboxings and taste tests over on our YouTube channel. And if you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them in the comments below!