When it comes to managing diabetes, what you put in your body is of the highest importance to maintaining healthy blood sugar levels. This means you have to be strict with your diet, which leads to time and energy spent on meal planning and prepping. If you’re new to cooking or just not a fan, adhering to a specific diet can be a major challenge. Plus, if you’ve recently been diagnosed with diabetes, changing your diet and cutting out foods can be a difficult adjustment to make.
If you relate to this, then you’re in luck, as there are a number of meal delivery services with diabetic-friendly meal plans. In fact, many of the meal delivery services we listed below follow the American Diabetes Association’s recommended guidelines for carbs, protein, fat, and sodium intake. This means you can feel confident that the food you eat is going to help maintain healthy glucose levels.
Now, let’s dive into our top picks for the best diabetic meal delivery services out there.
Food Box HQ Note: The meal delivery services listed in this article were rigorously researched and thoroughly tested over years of reviews. That being said, we strongly urge you to consult your doctor before making a final decision on any new diet.
Best Diabetic-Friendly Meal Kit
What It Is: Sunbasket is a meal kit delivery service that has specific plans you can choose according to your diet. This includes a “Diabetes-Friendly” plan that features recipes that have been approved by the American Diabetes Association. In their diabetes-specific plan, they focus on meals that have high-quality carbs, protein, fiber, and healthy fats. They’ve calculated that per serving they have about 400-700 calories, 10+ grams of protein, 5+ grams of fiber, and no more than 20-70 grams of high-quality carbs. Sunbasket works by you first building a meal plan, then you select anything you would like to include or avoid in your meals, such as high protein and low added sugar. From there, they will show you the meals that fit into your specific dietary preferences, which you can then select to have sent to your home. What we love about Sunbasket is that they are super accommodating to dietary preferences and restrictions, while also having delicious, adventurous, and exciting meals to try.
Types of Diabetic Meals Offered: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snacks, Drinks, Desserts, and additional Meats
Lowest Price Per Meal: $11.49
Examples of Sunbasket’s Diabetes-Friendly Meals:
- Curried Pork with Roasted Root Vegetables and Apple-Ginger Mostarda
- Mexican Chicken and Cauliflower “Rice” with Sweet Peppers
- Dijon King Salmon with Fennel and Orange Salad
- Blueberry Morning Rounds
Why Sunbasket Made The List:
- With Sunbasket’s Diabetes-Friendly meal plan, they make it very simple to select the meals that work best for your diet. This saves you time and energy by not having to scan each meals nutritional label to make sure it works with your needs.
- From our experience, having used their meal kit over the years, they create delicious and nutritionally balanced recipes that are fun to cook due to their more adventurous recipes.
- We found their recipes to be easy to follow and help expand your cooking skills. For those with diabetes, this could be a great way to learn new diabetic-friendly recipes to keep in your roster to cook later on.
- Sunbasket uses organic ingredients as much as possible. They also work with local farmers who practice regenerative and sustainable agriculture and ranching practices.
Best For A Variety Of Diabetic-Friendly Meals
What It Is: BistroMD frames their meal delivery service as a weight-loss program that sends you pre-made frozen meals. They have a “Diabetic Friendly” program that focuses on meals that will help maintain healthy blood glucose levels. With this program, you are able to work with a dietician to cater the plan specifically to your needs. This is helpful as the number of calories, carbs, fats, and proteins you need depends on your BMI. By working one on one with a dietician through BistroMD, you can have pre-made meals that are made with your specific needs in mind. They have a few plans to choose from, including a plan that covers every meal, 7 days a week, with one night off. If you’re looking for a service that will take full control of your diet (so you don’t have to), BistroMD is a great option to consider.
Types of Diabetic Friendly Meals Offered: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Dessert, Sides, Drinks, and Snacks (as an add-on)
Lowest Price Per Meal: $9.99
Examples of BistroMD’s Diabetic Friendly Meals:
- Salmon with Dill Mustard Sauce
- Blackened Chicken with Creamy Smoked Paprika Sauce
- Chicken, Rice, and Cheddar Casserole
- Bagel Sandwich with Egg, Roast Beef, and Pepper Jack
- Espresso Fudge Cookie Bites
Why BistroMD Made The List:
- BistroMD is a great choice if you’re looking for diabetic-friendly, pre-made meals. Also, since they're frozen, you'll have more flexibility as to when you eat them.
- By working with a dietician, you can receive pre-made meals that are specific to your dietary needs.
- Of all the meal delivery services listed here, BistroMD has one of the widest selections of dinner, lunch, breakfast, and snack options.
- They are a great meal delivery service to consider if you’re looking to lose weight in a healthy, balanced way.
- They focus on more traditional, home-style meals so even picky eaters should be able to find something they enjoy.
Best For Diabetics Covered Under Healthcare
What It Is: If you’re covered under Medicare Advantage or Medicaid, then you’ll definitely want to check out Mom’s Meals. This pre-made meal delivery service is fully covered (depending on benefits) if you have one of the above insurances. They also have an affordable self-pay and caregiver option. Mom’s Meals specializes in creating meals that support specific diets, such as Diabetes-Friendly, Heart-Friendly, Cancer Support, and more. Within their Diabetes-Friendly plan, they offer meals that have less than 75 grams of carbs per meal without any added sugars or trans fats. They focus on meals that have more fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins, which is in accordance with the recommended diet by the American Diabetes Association.
Types of Diabetic Friendly Meals Offered: Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner.
Lowest Price Per Meal: Free if fully covered under Medicaid and Medicare Advantage plans, depending on benefits. Self-pay lowest price per meal is $6.99.
Examples of Mom’s Meals Diabetic-Friendly Meals:
- Homestyle Meatloaf with Potatoes and Seasoned Vegetables
- Swedish Style Meatballs with Creamy Mushroom Sauce over Pasta and Seasoned Vegetables
- Beef Tacos with Cheese and Santa Fe Style Rice
- Pork Rib Patty with BBQ Sauce and Seasoned Vegetables
- Breakfast Sandwich (Pork Sausage, Egg, Cheese) and Brown Sugar Peach Crisp
Why Mom’s Meals Made The List:
- They have diabetic-specific meals that are low in carbs and promote balanced glucose levels.
- This plan is free for those fully covered under Medicare and Medicaid.
- Mom’s Meals is designed to work with caregivers and agencies that support seniors and those in care who need nutritious, balanced meals.
- They offer a wide selection of traditional meals and international favorites.
- Mom’s Meals covers breakfast, lunch, and dinner with plenty of options in each category.
Best For Tracking Weight-Loss
What It Is: Nutrisystem is a popular weight-loss program that has been around for over 40 years. They’re a pre-made meal delivery service that has a Diabetes Plan filled with a variety of different types of meals. Like BistroMD, you’ll also be able to work with a dietician to craft a meal plan that works best for you. What's interesting about Nutrisystem is that as you continue using their program, you can track your progress so that meals each week are more tailored to your needs. Compared to others on this list, their system is a bit different, as they encourage you to eat six times per day, with smaller, more portion-controlled amounts. If you’re looking both to shed some weight and eat meals that can support balanced glucose levels, Nutrisystem is a good meal delivery service to consider.
Types of Diabetic Friendly Meals Offered: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Dessert, and Snacks
Lowest Price Per Meal: $9.99
Examples of Nutrisystem’s Diabetic-Friendly Meals:
- Grain-Crusted Pollock with Vegetables
- Lemon Caper Chicken
- Sesame Beef and Broccoli with Brown Rice
- Spinach and Cheese Pretzel Melt
- Vanilla Ice Cream Sandwich
Why Nutrisystem Made The List:
- With their diabetic-friendly meal plan, you won’t have to worry about whether your meals meet your dietary needs or not.
- They have a large selection of breakfast, lunch, and dinner meals. Plus, they have a wide variety of snack and dessert options.
- You can try their meals through their A La Carte option before committing to a 4-week program.
Food Box HQ Note: We did find Nutrisystem meals to be a bit more "bland" than many of the others on this list. Nonetheless, their diabetic meal plan is still a good option to consider, especially for those who prefer less "adventurous" meals.
Best Flexible Meal Plan
What It Is: Metabolic Meals is a pre-made meal delivery service that caters to a variety of diets, including meals that are diabetic-friendly. They focus on crafting organic balanced meals that are non-GMO and do not use artificial ingredients. Their entire menu is gluten-free and can easily accommodate other dietary preferences. Each week you pick out the meals you would like, with a required minimum of 8 meals. Their menu rotates every week so you’ll always have new meals to try.
Types of Diabetic Friendly Meals Offered: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Desserts, and Added Protein
Lowest Price Per Meal: $11.99
Examples of Metabolic’s Diabetic-Friendly Meals:
- Oven Roasted Turkey Breast with Shallot Porcini Gravy and Herbed Mashed Cauliflower
- Chicken and Black Bean Burrito Bowl
- Low Carb Southern ‘Fried’ Chicken with Country Green Beans
- Four Cheese Free-Range Egg Scramble
- Double Chocolate Keto Cookies
Why Metabolic Meals Made The List:
- They create balanced and high-quality meals that are diabetes-friendly.
- Metabolic Meals uses fresh, organic ingredients. This includes grass-fed, free-range meat without any hormones and antibiotics.
- Their packaging is 100% recyclable and made from recycled material.
- They have a good selection of meals to choose from (over 20) and their menu rotates every week.
Best For Meal Customization
What It Is: Snap Kitchen is a pre-made, diet-friendly meal delivery service. They send you fresh, refrigerated meals handcrafted by chefs. I do want to note that they do not have a specific diabetes plan. However, their menu is highly customizable and even offers a “Low Carb” option. Their filters allow you to select how many calories, carbs, protein, and sodium you would like in your meals. This helps you easily find which meals are going to meet your dietary needs. Their plans are pretty simple with two options: 6 meals per week or 12 meals per week. Then, you pick the meals you would like delivered from their menu, which is routinely updated. What’s unique about Snap Kitchen, when compared to many others on this list, is that they are devoted to giving back to their community by regularly donating meals to food rescue organizations and nonprofits.
Types of Diabetic Friendly Meals Offered: Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner
Lowest Price Per Meal: $10.50 per meal
Examples of Snap Kitchen’s Diabetic-Friendly Meals:
- Herb Butter Steak with Bacon Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Stir-Fry Chicken and Broccoli with Garlic Sauce
- Cajun Salmon with Braised Greens & Bacon
- Steak & Egg Tacos with Salsa Verde
Why Snap Kitchen Made The List:
- Snap Kitchen is one of the few meal delivery services that allow you to fully customize your order.
- With their filters and low-carb option, they offer a wide selection of diabetic-friendly meals.
- From our experience using them, we found that they offer balanced, delicious, and nutrient-rich meals.
- They give back in many ways, including donating meals.
Best For Plant-Based Meals
What It Is: If you’re looking to try a plant-based diet to help manage your diabetes, then Daily Harvest may be able to help. They are a pre-made, frozen meal delivery service that specializes in balanced vegan meals. They also offer delicious smoothies, soups, breakfast options, desserts, and drinks. Daily Harvest doesn’t have a diabetic-specific plan, but their menu allows you to filter low carb, low sugar, and low calories meals. Daily Harvest works by you first selecting a plan, which consists of Small (9 items), Medium (14 items), and Large (24 items). Then, you pick out which meals, smoothies, snacks, and drinks you would like in your box. Daily Harvest is a good meal delivery service to consider for those with diabetes looking to eat plant-based for every meal.
Types of Diabetic Friendly Meals Offered: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Desserts, Snacks, and Drinks
Lowest Price Per Meal: $5.99
Examples of Daily Harvest’s Diabetic-Friendly Meals:
- Broccoli Rice + Dill Pilaf Harvest Bowl
- Brussels Sprouts + Lime Pad Thai Harvest Bowl
- Carrot + Coconut Curry Soup
- Vanilla Bean + Apple Chai Bowl
- Watermelon + Dragon Fruit Smoothie
- Chaga + Chocolate Latte
Why Daily Harvest Made The List:
- Daily Harvest offers a large selection of balanced, organic, and vegan meals.
- With their easy-to-use filter, you can find diabetes-friendly meals that meet your dietary needs.
- They use fresh, organic, local produce (that is flash frozen) in each of their meals.
- Daily Harvest supports regenerative and sustainable agriculture.
Best For Pre-Made Smoothies and Juices
What It Is: If you’re looking to add more smoothies and juices to your diet, check out Splendid Spoon. Along with healthy dinner and lunch options, they offer a number of ready-to-go smoothies, juices, and snack options. Splendid Spoon is a pre-made, plant-based meal delivery service that is designed to be eaten on the go, meaning heating up your meals isn’t required (as long as you’re okay with cold soup). They specialize in healthy soup, grain, and noodle bowls that are packed with nutrients and high-quality ingredients. On their menu, you’ll find a “Blood Sugar Friendly” filter that shows you all the meals and drinks that would work with a diabetic- diet. The only drawback to Splendid Spoon, when compared to others on this list, is that upon applying this filter there is much less to choose from. We hope this will change in the future. That being said, Splendid Spoon is a great choice to consider if you’re wanting more balanced vegan meals and smoothies you can easily take on the go.
Types of Diabetic Friendly Meals Offered: Breakfast, Lunch, Smoothies, Juices, and Snacks
Lowest Price Per Meal: $7.50
Examples of Splendid Spoon’s Diabetic-Friendly Meals:
- Coconut Curry Rice Bowl with Kale & Cashews
- Butternut Squash Ratatouille Soup with Tomatoes & Kale
- Fennel Consomme Soup with Sea Salt & Dill
- Power Greens Smoothie
- Immunity Shot with Elderberry & Camu Camu
- Matcha Energy Protein Bar
Why Splendid Spoon Made The List:
- They have a “Blood Sugar Friendly” filter on their menu., which gives you the ability to only view diabetes-friendly meals.
- Splendid Spoon’s entire menu is plant-based, gluten-free, dairy-free, and low sodium.
- They use high-quality, fresh, and organic ingredients in every meal and beverage.
- They have a plan that covers every meal, 7 days a week - perfect for those who don’t want to spend any time in the kitchen.
Best For Healthy Weight-Loss
What It Is: Diet-To-Go is another weight loss meal delivery program (similar to BistroMD) that provides pre-made breakfast, lunch, and dinner meals. Their “Balance-Diabetes” plan provides meals that are specifically crafted to help maintain balanced blood sugar levels. These meals follow the recommended guidelines for the number of carbs, fats, proteins, and sodium levels set in place by the American Diabetes Association. With this plan, you have access to registered dieticians who can help create a meal plan that works best with your dietary needs. Their plans work by you first choosing a 5-day meal plan or a 7-day meal plan. From there, you can decide if you would like breakfast, lunch, and dinner or just lunch and dinner for the number of days selected. Diet-To-Go is a great plan to consider if you want support in your diet as well as to lose weight in a balanced and structured way.
Types of Diabetic Friendly Meals Offered: Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner
Lowest Price Per Meal: $8.00
Examples of Diet-To-Go’s Diabetic-Friendly Meals:
- Chicken Pizza with Seasoned Squash
- Baked Salmon with Pineapple Salsa
- Turkey Salisbury Steak with Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans
- Quinoa Egg Bites
- Waffles with Blueberry Cream Cheese
Why Diet-To-Go Made The List:
- Their “Balanced Diabetes” plan can help you maintain a diet that supports balanced glucose levels.
- With their 7 day plan, you can have every meal taken care of so you don’t have to do any cooking.
- Their plans are designed to help you lose weight and receive support from their online resources.
A Basic Overview Of The Diabetic Diet
The main goal of a diabetes diet is to maintain healthy glucose levels and to avoid any foods that will raise blood sugar levels. For anyone diagnosed with diabetes, it’s highly recommended that they work with a dietician to go over a meal plan that would be best suited for them. The reason for this is that the amount of calories, carbs, protein, and fats you need depends upon your BMI (body mass index), age, and gender.
The main foods to avoid are unhealthy carbohydrates and fats (specifically saturated and trans fats). Unhealthy carbohydrates such as processed and added sugars, sodium, and fats can create unhealthy blood sugar levels. Rather, you want to focus on eating foods that are high in fiber, healthy carbs and fats, and protein.
Eating more vegetables is a great way to maintain optimal glucose levels. That’s because having more of a plant-based diet ensures you’re receiving high amounts of fiber, and fewer fats, calories, and cholesterol. This is one of the main reasons we included a mix of plant-based and vegan meal delivery services in the list above. Using plant-based meal delivery services, such as Daily Harvest or Splendid Spoon, can help you incorporate more vegetables into your diet.
Which Diabetic Meal Delivery Service is Best?
When evaluating which diabetic meal delivery service is best, we wanted to choose one that would be the easiest to use, and wouldn’t require you to check every nutritional label on your meals. For this, we needed to go with a pre-made meal delivery service that had a diabetes-specific plan crafted by dieticians. This, along with quality, variety, and convenience, leads us to pick BistroMD.
Here’s why BistroMD is our top pick:
- They create high-quality, pre-made meals that adhere to a diabetes diet.
- By being able to work with a dietician through their program, you can create a meal plan specific to your exact needs.
- Their program is designed to support healthy weight loss, which is part of controlling type-2 diabetes.
- They have a wide variety of meals to choose from, including breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- With their 7 day program, you can have every meal taken care of, except one night off where they encourage you to either eat out or make your own diabetes-friendly meal.
What To Consider When Choosing A Diabetic Meal Delivery Service
When choosing a diabetic meal delivery service, you want to make sure they’re able to meet your specific dietary and lifestyle needs. Figuring out which one checks all the boxes can be a bit tricky, as there are a lot of different meal delivery services to choose from. To help with this, let’s take a look at some key factors to consider.
Do You Want A Diabetic Specific Meal Plan?
If you are fully aware of how many calories, carbs, protein, and sodium amounts you need in each meal, then going with a diabetic-specific plan may not be 100% necessary. But, for those who don’t want to take the time to review nutritional labels, you might want to consider services that have a diabetic-specific plan already in place.
Services that have a diabetic-specific plan include Sunbasket, BistroMD, Mom’s Meals, Diet-To-Go, and NutriSystem.
Do Other Meal Kits Work With A Diabetic Diet?
With Sunbasket being the only meal kit on this list, you may be wondering if any other meal kits work for a diabetic diet. Surprisingly, from our research and reviews, we found that meal kits are not as accommodating to diabetic diets as pre-made meal delivery services are. Even the plant-based meal kit, Purple Carrot, had many meals with added sugars and high amounts of carbs.
That being said, going with another meal kit service is possible, it would just require more work on your end to ensure there are enough diabetes-friendly recipes on a week-to-week basis.
What is Your Budget?
This question may be the most important to first consider, as meal delivery services can range quite a bit in price. Luckily, many have reasonable prices and we made it a point to include meal delivery services with a variety of different price points in the list above.
If you have a tight budget, you might want to consider a service that is lower in price, such as Mom’s Meals or Daily Harvest (which is still high-quality). Typically, higher prices have to do with the quality of ingredients, such as local, organic produce. In other cases, you may be receiving more than just meals with your purchase, such as access to online coaching and registered dieticians.
What Is The Quality Of The Ingredients?
Most meal delivery services are going to have information about their sourcing practices, which can be found on their FAQ page. Doing this research will help you find out if a service uses organic, non-GMO produce, grass-fed meat, and if they include any added preservatives or artificial ingredients.
Most of the services on this list don’t use any artificial ingredients or preservatives, and many of them use organic, non-GMO ingredients as much as possible.
Do You Have Any Food Allergies?
Because each of these services on this list is accommodating to a diabetic diet, they are also going to accommodate specific allergens as well. That being said, if you have a severe food allergy, such as gluten, then you’ll want to make sure you go with a service that doesn’t process any of their meals in the same environment as your allergen. If they do, you’ll probably want to go with a different service.
Also, some meal delivery services are more considerate of allergies and preferences than others. Daily Harvest, for example, has a filter on its menu that even lets you filter out specific ingredients, such as beets or onions.
Do You Prefer To Make The Meals Or Would You Like Them To Be Pre-Made?
If you’re wanting to cook diabetic-friendly meals yourself, then Sunbasket is your best option. If there’s another meal kit service you’re excited about using, don’t hesitate to reach out to their customer support team to see if they accommodate diabetic diets.
How Many Meals Do You Need To Eat Per Day?
This is an important aspect to consider, as meal delivery services fluctuate quite a bit in how many meals they offer. Some are able to deliver every breakfast, lunch, and dinner you need for the week, while others are only able to provide a few lunch and dinner plans each week. How many meals you want every week will also depend on your budget.
Along with how many meals you need, you’ll want to consider what types of meals you want as well. Some meal delivery services don’t offer breakfast options, and if they do, only a small variety to pick from.
Our Methodology For Selecting The Diabetic Meal Delivery Services On This List
All of the diabetic meal delivery services listed in this article have been vetted by me and my team. This includes, but is not limited to, purchasing the product, reviewing the service in its entirety, taste tests, and more. You can read more about our review process here.
We use these specific guidelines to evaluate every diabetic meal delivery service we researched:
- The diabetic meals that are offered have to adhere to the recommended amounts of carbs, fats, protein, and sodium by the American Diabetes Association.
- The meal delivery service’s menu has to have low-carb, low-fat, and low-sugar options.
- The meal delivery service has to offer a variety of diabetic meals to choose from.
- The meal delivery service has to be able to ship to every state and town within the United States.
- They have to offer high-quality ingredients that meet nutritional needs. This includes, but is not limited to, organic fresh produce, local produce, and organic, grass-fed meat.