If you were a fan of Freshly, the immensely popular pre-made meal delivery service that went out of business in 2022, you may be wondering what your options are now.
Don't worry, there are still plenty of other meal delivery out there. Most importantly, you can still get fully-prepared meals delivered straight to your door with ease.
In this article, we'll be discussing some of the top Freshly alternatives and giving you the lowdown on what I like and dislike about each one (based on my personal experience trying each).
Whether you're just looking for some fully-prepared meals to make weekday dinners easier or you want a meal delivery service to handle everything from cooking to groceries, there are plenty of options available to choose from.
Best Overall Freshly Alternative
Cookunity is a pre-made meal delivery service that allows you to choose from 4, 6, 8, 12, or 16 meals per week and offers the option to have meals selected for you based on your preferences. All meals are delivered chilled in recyclable containers and are ready-to-eat with simple heating and plating instructions.
What makes Cookunity really stand out compared to Freshly is that they do not cook their meals in one central commercial kitchen. Rather, CookUnity is a “chef collective” whereby they connect you with chefs across the nation. This means they can offer hundreds of meal selections and one of the widest variety of cuisines I’ve ever seen in a pre-made meal delivery service.
If you were disappointed with Freshly’s lack of rotating menu, you’ll be happy to know that in addition to Cookunity’s massive variety of meals, they constantly rotate in new meals.
Types of Meals Offered: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Lowest Price Per Meal: Around $11 depending on the plan you go with.
My Favorite Meals From Cookunity:
- Roasted Chicken with Scallion Cream Sauce and Rosemary Roasted Potatoes and Peas with Carrots
- Spicy Firecracker Chicken with Chinese Broccoli and Steamed Rice
- Classic Bacon Cheeseburger Sliders with Roasted Potato Wedges
What I Like About Cookunity:
- Their meals are some of the tastiest that I’ve ever had from a meal delivery service (including meal kit meals). They're one of the few meal delivery services that feels like a private chef made your meal. If you’re considering Cookunity, I highly suggest you check out our video reviews and taste tests to see what I mean. In comparison, Freshly's meals were good, but not of the same high quality as Cookunity's.
- Cookunity offers a wide range of dietary options, including paleo, low-carb, vegan, and keto, whereas Freshly only offered more general dietary choices and does not have options for specific diets.
- The amount of variety that Cookunity offers is massive. They give you the ability to choose from dozens of different meals every week.
What I Don’t Like About Cookunity:
- I found the portion sizes of many Cookunity meals to be a bit smaller than Freshly’s.
- Cookunity is not as cheap as Freshly was. Freshly was around $9-$10 per meal (depending on which plan you went with) and Cookunity is around $11 per meal.
- Since Cookunity doesn’t have a central commercial kitchen like Freshly, the quality can vary depending on where you live. For example, I live on the east coast and have had a great experience with them but those in other places have complained.
Best For Clean & Quality Meals
Trifecta Nutrition is a pre-made meal delivery service geared towards clean eating. When we originally tried them out they were much more for fitness enthusiasts but they’ve since expanded to become a bit broader with the diets and meals offered. For example, they now offer clean eating, Whole30, paleo, keto, vegan, and vegetarian meal plans. Or, you can opt for their a la carte plan and choose any meals you’d like.
One key difference between Trifecta Nutrition and Freshly is the quality of the meals offered. Trifecta Nutrition's meals are gluten-free, non-GMO, made with organic produce, low in sugar and sodium, and high in fiber. The same can't be said for Freshly's meals.
Another major differentiator between Freshly and Trifecta Nutrition is the fact that Trifecta has built out their service to be more than just a meal delivery service. They have one of the most comprehensive apps I’ve ever seen from a meal delivery service. Beyond being able to select meals and make changes to your subscription (which most meal delivery services allow you to do) Trifecta Nutrition has hundreds of workout plans, a meal/macro/calorie tracker, and more.
Types of Meals Offered: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Lowest Price Per Meal: $14.80 for most plans, $11.42 for the vegan and vegetarian plans.
My Favorite Meals From Trifecta Nutrition:
- Walnut Parmesan Garlic Salmon
- Beef Sloppy Joes
- Ultimate Bison Burger
What I Like About Trifecta Nutrition:
- Trifecta Nutrition's meals are among the cleanest and highest quality I've tried from a meal delivery service. They don't use any artificial ingredients or preservatives, and all of their produce is organic, which is pretty rare among pre-made meal delivery services. While Freshly's meals were also high quality, they don't quite compare to the level of Trifecta's.
- Trifecta Nutrition is an excellent choice for gluten-free meal delivery as all of their meals are prepared without gluten, eliminating the risk of cross-contamination in their kitchen. This makes Trifecta Nutrition a reliable option for individuals with gluten sensitivities or allergies.
- Trifecta Nutrition is one of the few meal delivery services I’ve tried that offers bulk ordering. This means you can stock up on bulk orders of your meals and bulk orders of specific pre-cooked meals. Freshly did not offer any type of bulk ordering.
What I Don't Like About Trifecta Nutrition:
- Trifecta Nutrition's main meal plans (clean eating, keto, paleo, Whole30, vegan, and vegetarian) do not offer the option to choose your meals each week. Instead, the meals are selected by the chefs.
- Trifecta Nutrition is not the most budget-friendly option on this list. Their meals are a few dollars more expensive per meal compared to Freshly and other meal delivery services listed here. Additionally, their fitness app costs $9.99 per month.
- I found the process of canceling to be a bit inconvenient. Unlike other meal delivery services that allow you to cancel easily through your account settings on their website, Trifecta Nutrition requires you to contact their customer support by phone or email to cancel your subscription. This involves a few extra steps.
Best For Low-Carb/Keto Meals
Factor Meals is a pre-made meal delivery service that initially focused on serving fitness enthusiasts and those following a keto diet, but has since expanded their menu to include a wider variety of meals. However, the majority of Factor's menu still consists of low-carb options.
They currently offer a few different meal plans, including chef’s choice, keto, calorie smart, vegan and veggie, and protein plus.
Freshly and Factor were among the first fresh pre-made meal delivery services to ship nationwide. I had the opportunity to try both around 2013 and was impressed with both of them.
Freshly's service remained mostly unchanged over the years, while Factor continued to evolve and improve their service. While Freshly's menu stayed mostly the same week to week, Factor's menu changed on a weekly basis. The biggest difference between the two was that Factor added a full marketplace to their meal delivery service, which included a wider range of options such as breakfast items, desserts, snacks, drinks, smoothies, and more. This allowed Factor to provide meals for all three main meals of the day, while Freshly's service was primarily limited to lunch and dinner.
Types of Meals Offered: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snacks, Desserts, Drinks
Lowest Price Per Meal: Around $11
My Favorite Meals From Factor Meals:
- Chicken Piccata with Cauliflower Mash & Broccoli
- Creamy Parmesan Chicken with Broccoli & Tomatoes
- Cheesy Garden Herb Chicken with Creamy Broccoli "Rice" & Chile Garlic Zucchini
What I Like About Factor Meals:
- Factor Meals has some of the tastiest low-carb meals I’ve ever had. I was even impressed with their snack and dessert options (also low-carb), with their cheesecake being my personal favorite. You can view our taste tests of their add-ons here.
- They’re one of the few meal delivery services I’ve tried that offers nutrition coaching with their service (free of charge).
- If you follow the keto diet, Factor is one of the only meal delivery services out there that offers meals that truly fit the diet. In my experience, many other meal delivery services say that they offer keto-specific meals but they’re really only low-carb.
What I Don’t Like About Factor Meals:
- If you are not following a keto diet, the high-fat content of many of Factor's meals may not be suitable for your nutritional needs. This is because the keto diet prioritizes high-fat, low-carb meals.
- Their meal plans are not as cheap as Freshly’s were. They start out around $11 per meal whereas Freshly was around $9-$10 per meal (depending on the plan).
Freshest Pre-Made Meals
Territory Foods is a pre-made meal delivery service that focuses on nutritionally balanced convenient meals. Their menu features a wide variety of options with up to 90 items available each week, which is much more than I normally see with meal delivery services. Plus, new meals are introduced each week.
In addition to offering a variety of delicious meals, Territory Foods also offers dietary-specific options such as Mediterranean, paleo, vegan, Whole30, and keto.
Where Territory Foods differs from Freshly (as well as every other option on this list) is that you can choose to have their meals delivered twice a week to ensure peak freshness. This is virtually unheard of in the world of meal delivery services.
Like Cookunity, Territory Foods' meals are prepared by their local network of chefs (rather than all at a central commercial kitchen). However, Territory Foods takes things a step further by working in conjunction with dietitians to ensure that they are both tasty and healthy.
Territory Foods focuses on making meals with healthy fats, clean proteins, and seasonal produce. They pay close attention to the balance of nutrients in their meals, including macros, carbs, and fiber. Additionally, they never use gluten, dairy, or refined sugars in their meals.
Types of Meals Offered: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Lowest Price Per Meal: Around $14 per meal depending on the plan you go with.
My Favorite Meals From Territory Foods:
- Sun-dried Tomato Chicken with Creamy Polenta
- Chicken Enchiladas with Salsa Verde and Zucchini-Corn Relish
- Beef Burger with Yassa Onion Jam
What I Like About Territory Foods:
- Territory Foods is the only meal delivery service that I’ve tried that allows you to receive two deliveries per week. This is a big deal if, like me, you want to eat the freshest meals possible.
- Territory Foods includes a special "Fresh Tag" card in every box that will tell you if the meals were exposed to heat that may have spoiled them. The card will change color based on whether or not the box hit a certain temperature.
- The quality of Territory’s meals is very high. I was thoroughly impressed with their sourcing practices. For example, none of the meats they use have antibiotics or added hormones and they partner with nonprofits to ensure that their meats are humanely raised.
- You can pick up your meals from Territory Foods if you live near one of their pick up locations. This makes them one of the few meal delivery services I’ve ever tried to offer local pick up.
Why I Don’t Like Territory Foods:
- Whereas Freshly could ship nationwide, Territory Foods shipping is limited to specific areas on the east and west coast.
- Their pricing is a bit different from Freshly in that you pay per-meal rather than a flat per-week fee.
Best For Diet-Specific Meal Plans
Fresh n Lean
Fresh n Lean is a pre-made meal delivery service that is best known for their immense variety of diet-specific foods. Their meal plans include Protein+, Keto, Paleo, Vegan, Low-Carb Vegan, Whole30, Mediterranean Diet, and a bulk order option. Each plan offers around 22 to 25 different meals to choose from each week.
Fresh n Lean differs from Freshly in that it offers a greater level of customization. With Fresh n Lean, you can not only choose a particular diet plan and have all of your meals taken care of, but you can also request the removal of certain ingredients from your meals. For example, you can ask for ingredients such as fish, olives, cilantro, rice, and many others to be excluded. This allows you to tailor your meals to your specific dietary needs and preferences.
Additionally, in our tests here at Food Box HQ, I’ve noticed that Fresh n Lean goes above and beyond Freshly when it comes to locking in the freshness of their meals. They do this through a vacuum sealing process for each meal they send.
Types of Meals Offered: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snacks
Lowest Price Per Meal: Around $9 per meal depending on the plan you choose.
My Favorite Meals From Fresh n Lean:
- General Tso's Chicken N' Vegetable Rice Bowl
- Buffalo Chicken Bowl
- Slow Cooked Rosemary-Thyme Beef With Root Vegetables
What I Like About Fresh n Lean:
- I found Fresh n Lean’s diet variety to be unmatched. I’ve reviewed hundreds of food boxes over the years and Fresh n Lean is one of the few pre-made meal delivery services that has dedicated plans for multiple highly specific diets that allow you to have breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day. Freshly did not have any specific diet plans available.
- Fresh n Lean makes it simple to switch between different diet plans so you can test out different diets and see which you prefer. Freshly made you contact customer support to switch between plans.
- The fact that you can exclude specific ingredients makes Fresh n Lean a great choice for those who have food allergies. Freshly did not allow you to exclude any ingredients.
What I Don’t Like About Fresh n Lean:
- Fresh n Lean does not have many snack options. I found that they mostly only offer nuts like almonds. This may not be a big deal for some but for those who want to have Fresh n Lean cover everything they eat, it may be a big deal.
- Since they vacuum seal their meal trays, it makes them hard to open. You’ll need a knife or scissors and you’ll have to be careful opening it.
Best For Food Variety
RealEats is a pre-made meal delivery service that does things a bit differently than Freshly and the others in this article. Rather than packaging their meals in a tray, RealEats vacuum seals their meals in plastic pouches. This allows you to heat them sous vide style by boiling them in a pot of water.
Of course, if you don’t want to boil the meals, you’re not forced to. I tend to heat my RealEats meals in the microwave instead of sous vide style.
Where I think RealEats really shines in comparison to Freshly is with the massive variety of food they offer—not just diet-specific meals either. Each week you can choose from over 150 different meals ranging from comfort food classics to diet-inspired meals. However, their meals are only the tip of the iceberg. RealEats also offers dozens of different add-ons, from soups and chilis to snacks and smoothies. You can quite literally have every food you eat handled through your RealEats subscription. By comparison, Freshly could really only handle lunch and dinner meals. Plus, there were no add-ons available.
Types of Meals Offered: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snacks, Sides, Drinks
Lowest Price Per Meal: Around $13.50 depending on the plan you go with.
My Favorite Meals From RealEats:
- Homestyle Turkey Breast With Homestyle Gravy, Sweet Potato Mash And Green Beans
- Honey Mustard Chicken With Flame-Roasted Veggie Medley And Brown Rice
- Southern BBQ Steak With Creamy Mac And Cheese And Sliced Honey Glazed Carrots
What I Like About RealEats:
- I found that RealEats' use of vacuum sealed pouches helps to preserve the flavor of their meals much better than Freshly’s.
- RealEats massive variety of meals isn’t always diet-specific. This makes them a great choice for those who are more casual eaters looking for a convenient meal delivery service.
- RealEats is one of the only pre-made meal delivery services that I’ve tried that has a rewards program which allows you to earn free meals.
What I Don’t Like About RealEats:
- Since all RealEats meals are packed in pouches, I found that it can sometimes get messy plating everything.
- Some people may not like that RealEats recommends boiling the meals in a pot before eating. While I find that it heats the meals more thoroughly than any other method, I still tend to prefer microwaving them.
Best Plant-Based Option
If you’re looking for an alternative to Freshly that’s fully plant-based, Mosaic Foods is a great option to consider.
Mosaic Foods is a bit different from many of the others on this list in that they are a frozen pre-made meal delivery service. While all of the meals they serve are plant-based, they don’t “feel” plant-based. That is to say, Mosaic does a great job of making their meals flavorful and filling.
With Mosaic, you have the option to choose a plan with 6, 12, or 18 items in each box. However, it's important to note that each item has an individual price. In contrast, Freshly charges a flat fee and allows you to order any of their meals. With Mosaic, the price you pay will depend on the specific items you choose.
Another key differentiator between Freshly and Mosaic Foods comes down to portion sizes. Freshly was not known for having large portion sizes. On the other hand, Mosaic Foods meals have some of the largest portions I’ve seen from a pre-made meal delivery service. This can be seen best with their Family Meals. These are massive meals that will feed upwards of 4 people.
Types of Meals Offered: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snacks, Drinks
Lowest Price Per Meal: $5.99 for their oat bowls.
My Favorite Meals From Mosaic Foods:
- BBQ 'Meatloaf' & Sweet Potato Mash (Family Meal)
- Spinach Artichoke Pizza
- Creamy Pesto Cavatappi
What I Like About Mosaic Foods:
- In my experience, Mosaic Foods has made plant-based eating convenient and delicious. I was impressed—their meals are far from boring.
- Mosaic Foods offers a variety of cuisines, including Asian, Indian, and even classic American dishes like pot pies.
- They’re one of the few pre-made meal delivery services I’ve tried that offers premium meals. These are meals under their Mosaic+ line which are made by some of New York City's top chefs.
What I Don’t Like About Mosaic Foods:
- All of Mosaic Foods’ meals are frozen so they won’t be as fresh as the other pre-made meal delivery services on this list.
- Many of the meals Mosaic offers are a bit more adventurous than what Freshly and others offer. This means they might not be a good choice for picky eaters.
What To Keep In Mind Before Ordering
Before jumping in and making a final decision on any of the Freshly alternatives listed above, you’ll want to consider a few key points to ensure that you find the meal delivery service that best fits your needs.
- Cost: It's important to consider the cost of the service, including the individual price of the meals, shipping fees, and any other additional charges. Be sure it fits within your budget and know there are cheaper options out there.
- Menu Options: Look at the menu options and see if the meals meet your dietary needs and preferences. Do you have food allergies or specific ingredient preferences? Some services (like Fresh n Lean) offer a wide range of choices as well as the ability to customize your order, while others may be more limited.
- Delivery Frequency: Consider how often you want meals delivered. Most services offer weekly delivery but Territory Foods allows you to receive 2 boxes per week.
- Delivery Area: Before you make any final decision, be sure to check and see if the service delivers to your area. Some services (like Territory Foods) only deliver to certain zip codes or regions.
- Food Quality: Would you like your meals to be free of artificial ingredients, organic, and non-GMO, or is that not a concern for you? It's worth noting that higher-quality food often leads to higher costs for meal delivery services.
How These Freshly Alternatives Were Chosen
Here at Food Box HQ, we are dedicated to finding the best meal delivery services available. To do this, we put in a lot of time and effort researching, testing, and reviewing different options. You can view our review process here.
We have tried hundreds of food boxes over the years and have developed a thorough evaluation process that includes purchasing and testing the meals, conducting taste tests, comparing the service to similar ones, uncovering all of the pros and cons, and more.
Here is the process we used to narrow down which meal delivery services are the best alternatives to Freshly’s…
- The meal delivery service must offer pre-made meals. Since Freshly was a pre-made meal delivery service we excluded meal kits and only considered pre-made options.
- The meal delivery service must offer a range of options. Freshly offered dozens of options each week so we only considered meal delivery services that offer as much or more as Freshly.
- The meal delivery service must take the quality of their meals seriously. From our experience, Freshly did a good job of ensuring the quality of their meals.
- The meal delivery service must be able to ship to the majority of the United States. Freshly was one of the first pre-made meal delivery services that was able to ship nationwide.
Have a question about any of the alternative meal delivery services to Freshly? Let me know in the comments below!