The benefits of living a dairy-free lifestyle are abundant. For some, they have lactose intolerance, while others are choosing to opt out of dairy consumption for other reasons, such as improved digestion or even ethical causes.
Whatever your reason is for having a dairy-free diet, it can still be a challenge to follow. Plus, if you’ve just switched over to a dairy-free lifestyle, learning how to cook and bake without dairy can be overwhelming.
Luckily, there are a number of food delivery services that do the cooking or recipe building for you. Because dairy/milk is a common allergy and dietary restriction, more and more food delivery services are accommodating to this preference.
Ready to check out which might be the best option for you? Let’s dive into the best dairy-free delivery services for you to choose from!
Best For Dairy-Free Grocery Delivery & Meals
What It Is: Hungryroot is a meal delivery service/online grocery store that initially started out as a vegetarian meal delivery service. Since they’ve grown in popularity, they’ve expanded their meal and food selection to accommodate more individuals. They now offer a wide selection of meals and individual foods, including meat-based recipes, as well as snacks to eat on the go. Their easy-to-use website allows those who are dairy-free to add filters to their choices, so you can quickly choose the food/meals you want without having to scan each ingredient list. Better yet, they provide a large variety of meals, snacks, and individual foods that are dairy-free so you still have plenty of options to choose from.
Types of Dairy-Free Meals Offered: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snacks, Desserts, Fresh Produces, and other grocery items.
Lowest Price Per Meal: Hungryroot meals can vary in price because the cost is based on each ingredient in the recipe. Their lowest cost per meal is around $5.50, but the price will differ depending on the meal you choose.
Examples of Hungryroot’s Dairy-Free Meals:
- Grilled Chicken with Black Beans + Fajita Veggies
- Creamy Miso Salmon + Broccoli Florets
- Red-Sauce Shells with Sweet Sausage + Squash
Why Hungryroot Made The List:
- Hungryroot is favorable for individuals with allergens and dietary restrictions. For those who are dairy-free, they can still choose a wide variety of meals that are fun and delicious. Hungryroot even offers a large selection of vegan meals and snacks.
- You can fully personalize your experience with Hungryroot as it can serve as an online grocery store or full meal delivery service. This is really nice for those who prefer to buy groceries online and craft their own meals.
- Their ingredients are both high-quality and organic.
- The recipes are easy to follow and don’t require a lot of time. They also have a wide variety of snacks and breakfast options for you to eat on the go.
Best Pre-Made Vegan Dairy-Free Meal Delivery Option
What It Is: As a plant-based meal delivery service, Daily Harvest offers a wide selection of dairy-free smoothies, meals, and snacks. Everything is frozen when received, but that doesn’t mean you’re getting less quality. Daily Harvest practices "flash freezing" which means all their fruits and vegetables are frozen when they are still ripe and fresh (within 24 hours of harvest). Better yet, all of their ingredients are organic and are sourced from sustainable/regenerative farming practices. Because each of their meals is vegan, and the vegan diet prohibits animal-based products, you don’t have to worry about making sure they meet your dairy-free needs - they already do!
Types of Dairy-Free Meals Offered: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Desserts, Snacks, and Drinks.
Lowest Price Per Meal: $5.99, with a discount for the bulk plan of 24 items.
Examples of Daily Harvest’s Dairy-Free Meals:
- Broccoli + Cheeze Harvest Bowl (with Nutritional Yeast as the ‘cheezy’ flavor)
- Passion Fruit + Greens Smoothie
- Cinnamon + Banana Oat Bowl
- Sweet Potato + Miso Soup
- Chaga + Chocolate Latte
Why Daily Harvest Made The List:
- Daily Harvest is one of the few entirely dairy-free meal delivery services on this list.
- All meals are pre-made so they are a perfect option when you want a quick and easy meal.
- Daily Harvest has a wide selection of food to choose from, so you’ll be able to receive a variety of meals, snacks, and drinks. They also have plant-based (non-dairy) milk, which they call "Mylk". They are almond milk pods with a simple ingredient list including almonds and salt (as well as vanilla beans in their vanilla flavored option).
- They offer simple, whole food, organic ingredients that support sustainable agriculture. Healthy soil is vital for the ecosystem, and by sourcing produce from farmers who practice regenerative agriculture, Daily Harvest supports the health of our planet.
Best For Diverse & Unique Dairy-Free Meal Kits
What It Is: Sunbasket is one of the more popular meal delivery services out there that offers both meal kits and pre-made meals, as well as additional marketplace add-ons. Their wide selection allows you to pick easy pre-made, on-the-go lunch and breakfast options, as well as unique meal kits for you to prepare. Sunbasket has a few different plans to choose from, including a Paleo plan that is fully dairy-free. From there you can pick the dishes you feel inspired to create at home, as well as any additional dairy-free snacks or other add-ons you would like to include. If you would like to pick a different plan, such as Chef’s Choice - which offers seasonal recipes - you can still find many dairy-free options. They conveniently place dietary information at the top of the web page for each meal so you can find out right away if the meal is dairy-free or not.
Type of Dairy-Free Meals Offered: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snacks, Drinks, and Desserts.
Lowest Price Per Meal: $11.49
Examples of Sunbasket’s Dairy-Free Meals:
- Spanish Steaks with Patatas Bravas and Bell Pepper Alioli
- Chicken Yakitori with Broccoli and Steamed Rice
- Chinese Long-Life Noodles with Stir-fried Bok Choy and Mushrooms
- Cultivated Blueberry and Vermont Maple Oatmeal cup
Why Sunbasket Made the List:
- They offer unique meals that are both delicious and creative. Sunbasket beautifully pairs ingredients together that you wouldn’t normally think of, creating a flavor profile that is diverse and enjoyable - perfect for more adventurous eaters.
- The ingredients they use in their meals are organic and high-quality. All of their meat is grass-fed without any added hormones or antibiotics. The produce they include is based on the season, which supports local farmers and regenerative agriculture.
- Every meal kit is customizable, allowing you to switch ingredients in certain meals and add as many add-ons as you wish.
Best Pre-Made Paleo & Dairy-Free Meal Delivery Option
Paleo on the Go
What It Is: Paleo on the Go is a frozen pre-made meal delivery service that, as the name suggests, follow the paleo diet. Because each meal is made to meet this diet, which prohibits dairy, all meals are going to be dairy-free. Paleo on the Go is the best plan to choose if you have an autoimmune disease or are trying to eat less inflammatory foods. This is because they offer meal plans that are specifically made for these conditions. Paleo on the Go’s subscription plan is also unique in the fact that you don’t have to sign up for a six-month or one-year contract. This allows you to choose what meals you want as you go without a prolonged subscription commitment.
Types of Dairy-Free Meals Offered: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Dessert, and Snacks.
Lowest Price Per Meal: $9.75 - $10.75. A single packet of their Sugar-Free Bacon is $9.75, while the lowest price for an actual meal is $10.75.
Examples of Paleo on the Go’s Dairy-Free Meals:
- Thai Basil Shrimp with Vegetables
- Loaded Baked Sweet Potato Soup
- Salisbury Steak with Mushrooms Gravy and Onion Confit Cauliflower Mash
- Smoked Salmon Breakfast Bowl
- Lemon, Garlic, and Sage Bone Broth
- Cinnamon Apple Crisp
Why Paleo on the Go Made the List:
- All meals are dairy-free and ready to eat, which saves you time and helps you out when you’re on the go.
- From our experience here at Food Box HQ, the food is delicious. Even the baked items are extremely tasty considering the fact they are all made with gluten-free flour.
- Each meal is specifically tailored to meet the Paleo diet with official Paleo credentials.
- Paleo on the Go gives you the ability to order a la carte, which is helpful for those who just want to try it out first.
Best Pre-Made Dairy-Free Meal Delivery Option For Athletes
What It Is: Designed specifically for athletes, this pre-made meal delivery service is perfect for those who are dairy-free but still want high-quality and performance-enhancing foods. If you’re meticulous about your calorie intake or want to follow a specific diet, Trifecta Nutrition has many different meal plans to fit your needs. For those who are dairy-free, they have a Paleo plan, a vegan plan, and a vegetarian plan that are all entirely dairy-free. For those who want to pick each of their meals, Trifecta also includes a Meal Prep plan that allows you full control of the meals and ingredients you receive. With the all different plans to choose from, it’s worth taking the time to look through each one to decide which is right for you, given your lifestyle and needs.
Types of Dairy-Free Meals Offered: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and extra meat as an add-on.
Lowest Price Per Meal: $13.79
Examples of Trifecta Nutrition’s Dairy-Free Meals:
- Roasted Chicken Breast with Asparagus
- Sausage and Egg Scramble with Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Quinoa
Why Trifecta Nutrition Made The List:
- Trifecta has three different meal plans that are accommodating to dairy-free athletes, as well as a "you choose" plan for full meal control.
- They use organic and local ingredients in each of their meals to make sure you’re eating the freshest food. Through this focus, they also support local organic farmers who practice sustainable agriculture and who only raise grass-fed meat. All of their meat is humanely raised.
- Trifecta allows you to have a 3rd entree in your box, which is hard to find in other meal delivery services and may be beneficial for athletes following a strict diet.
- In addition to offer a full-scale meal delivery service, they also offer nutritional coaching, exercises, and fitness goals through their website and mobile app.
Best Affordable Dairy-Free Meal Kit
What It Is: Dinnerly is a meal kit that offers affordable and easy-to-make meals. Their meal plans start with a two-person box (which gives you 2 servings of each meal) and go up to a family box (which gives you 4 servings per meal). You can pick 3 to 6 individual meals per week. While they don’t have a specific dairy-free plan, their website and mobile app very clearly state which meals are dairy-free. This makes it easy to pick out your meals for the week that work best with your dairy-free restrictions. If you’re looking for an affordable meal kit that will quickly get dinner on the table and won’t scare away picky eaters, this might be the best option for you.
Types of Dairy-Free Meals Offered: Dinner, Dessert, and Meat (as an add-on).
Lowest Price Per Meal: $4.69
Examples of Dinnerly’s Dairy-Free Meals:
- Kung Pao Beef & Broccoli with Udon Noodles
- Low-Cal Spice-Rubbed Tilapia with Rice Pilaf & Fresh Tomato Salsa
- BBQ Beef Sandwiches
- Chocolate Lava Cakes
Why Dinnerly Made the List:
- Dinnerly is the best affordable option for those who are dairy-free and not very adventurous with their meals. Their recipes are quick, straightforward, and uncomplicated. The downside of this is that some meals don’t include a lot of veggies and may be too simple for some. The upside of this is if you have a picky eater, they'll likely be satisfied with these recipes.
- They offer a variety of dairy-free meals and desserts to choose from each week. However, because they don't have a specific dairy-free plan, it’s important to make sure you choose your meals each week or they will send you meals at random. If this happens, you will likely end up with meals that have dairy.
- Dinnerly is great for families who want to get dinner on the table and little bellies satisfied. With their easy-going meals, you’ll be able to provide nourishing and satiating meals for the whole family.
- All recipes are digital (found on their app and sent to your email), which eliminates extra waste and allows you to download each recipe for future use.
Best Pre-Made Meal Delivery Service For Allergies & Preferences
Fresh N’ Lean
What It Is: Fresh N’ Lean is a pre-made meal delivery service that offers organic and nutrient-dense meals. They are one of the most accommodating meal delivery services for those with food allergies and specific food preferences by allowing you to select exactly what you would like to exclude from your meals (such as dairy). Fresh N’ Lean provides a few different meals plans to choose from, such as Protein +, Keto, Paleo, Standard Vegan, Whole30 approved, Low Carb Vegan, and Bulk. Because they allow you to select a dairy-free option when picking your plan, you’re not limited to the Paleo or Vegan plans like you are with many of the other meal delivery services listed in this article.
Types of Dairy-Free Meals offered: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Dessert, and Snacks.
Lowest Price Per Meal: Every meal plan has a different base price for meals, but the lowest price per meal they offer is $7.83 for the Standard Vegan plan. Both the Keto and Paleo plans are $10.63 per meal, the Protein + plan is $10.36 per meal, the Whole30 plan is $12.99 per meal, and the Low Carb Vegan plan is $10.09 per meal.
Examples of Fresh N’ Lean’s Dairy-Free Meals:
- Creamy Broccoli Soup (with Coconut Cream as the base)
- Salmon with Walnut Pesto and Jasmine Rice
- Sesame Vegetables with Braised Beef
- Turkey Maple Sausage Scramble with Brussels Sprouts and Peppers
Why Fresh N’ Lean Made The List:
- They allow you to select specific food preferences and allergens so you always receive food that meets your dietary restrictions and that you know you’ll enjoy.
- They offer the most variety of plans out of any meal delivery service listed in this article, so you can choose which one works best with your lifestyle and diet.
- Their meals are super quick to make and can be ready in under 3 minutes (if you use the microwave). They are perfect for those who want to eat organic and nutritious foods but don’t have the time to make the meals themselves.
Best Dairy-Free Meal Delivery Service For Low FODMAP, GERD, & IBS Diets
What It Is: Epicured provides fresh pre-made meals that follow strict guidelines to ensure they are gluten-free and low FODMAP. This is a great meal delivery service option for those who need to follow a strict diet for their digestive issues, but don’t have the time to cook those specific meals every night. They offer meals that follow the diets for GERD, IBD, and IBS. Epicured also allows you to filter your meals through a preference option on the left-hand side of the website. When you choose the dairy-free option, it will then eliminate all the meals that have dairy. All meals are crafted by a team of high-quality chefs and dietitians who ensure the food you’re eating is both nourishing and supportive of your diet.
Types of Dairy-Free Meals Offered: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Dessert, Sides, Snacks, and Smoothies.
Lowest Price Per Meal: $3.99 (for a side dish), $6.99 lowest price per meal.
Examples of Epicured’s Dairy-Free Meals:
- Thai Green Curry with Chicken and Rice
- Tacos Especiales with Veggies
- Sesame Crusted Wild Salmon
- Mocha Espresso Energy Bites
- Dragon Fruit Smoothie
Why Epicured Made The List:
- They craft delicious and nourishing meals for those who have chronic digestive issues. This can be really helpful for those who might be overwhelmed with having to follow a strict diet.
- You can choose one of Epicured’s bundles, which is basically a trial of their meal delivery service. You can choose 3 meals to try in one of their bundles and then decide if it’s the right meal delivery service for you.
- They offer interesting and diverse meals to choose from that are crafted by their Michelin star chefs and tested/checked by their in-house dietitians.
- You can substitute your protein in some meals to make them vegetarian, or to add a different meat choice that you prefer.
Best For Specialty & Organic Dairy-Free Grocery Delivery
What It Is: If you’re looking for a grocery delivery service that offers specialty foods and meals to fit your diet, then definitely check out Thrive Market. With this service, you don’t have to spend time checking ingredient lists on your favorite pantry items, Thrive Market does it for you. Their easy-to-use website allows you to customize your order by filtering out what you don’t want, such as dairy. If you’re following a specific diet, such as paleo or keto, they have a filter that shows you all that's available that fits into that diet. Thrive Market has nearly everything you'd usually find at the grocery store (from pantry items to foods). However, one thing to note is that they don’t have fresh produce.
Types of Dairy-Free Meals/Products Offered: Condiments, Snacks, Meats, Full Meals, Desserts, Vitamins, and Home & Beauty Products.
Lowest Price Per Meal: Depends on what you purchase, but the monthly membership fee is currently $5.
Examples of Dairy-Free Products Thrive Offers:
- Lactose-Free Milk Alternatives, such as Califia Farms Almond Milk
- CHOMPS Beef Snack Sticks
- Primal Kitchen Avocado Mayo
Why Thrive Market Made The List:
- With Thrive Market, you don’t have to spend time at the grocery store scanning the shelves or nutrition labels for products that fit your dietary needs. They have a specific category page on their site for all their dairy-free options to make it easy to shop.
- They have hundreds of dairy-free meals, snacks, and pantry items for you to choose from.
- They support sustainable and regenerative agriculture, animal welfare, and fair trade resourcing among many others.
- Thrive Market benefits the community by giving back. Every time someone purchases a membership, they give a free membership to a family in need.
A Basic Overview Of The Dairy-Free Diet
A dairy-free diet eliminates foods that contain cow's milk, such as cheese, butter, yogurt, and cream. Popular diets such as the Paleo and Vegan diets are both inherently dairy-free too.
It’s no secret that dairy has been linked to a host of digestive issues, such as bloating, gas, cramping, and indigestion. Most of these digestive issues can be link to a lactose intolerance, which occurs when there is a deficiency of the enzyme lactase. This enzyme is needed for the digestive system to break down and metabolize lactose, a major component of milk. Digestive complaints, such as bloating and nausea, are a result of the body’s inability to properly break down and metabolize lactose.
Some may respond to dairy completely fine and their motive for avoiding dairy products has to do with ethical reasons. Commercial dairy products come from farms that have a substantial carbon footprint, which negatively affects the environment. Not only is the atmosphere affected, but most of these large dairy farms confine their cows to poor living environments and are not treated well. The added hormones and antibiotics found in non-organic dairy are quite concerning as well.
As mentioned, there are many reasons why one might choose to be dairy-free. For some, it’s due to a lactose intolerance that causes an allergic reaction when dairy is ingested. Others may choose to avoid dairy because their digestion is sensitive to it and they experience painful bloating, cramps, and indigestion.
Which Dairy-Free Meal Delivery Service Is Best?
When it comes to picking the best dairy-free meal delivery service, it ultimately comes down to what it is you’re looking for, which we’ll dive into more below. Nonetheless, after reviewing multiple food delivery services, we’ve gained enough insight to let you know what we think might be the best dairy-free meal service for you to try.
After evaluating convenience, value, and variety, our top pick is Daily Harvest. Here’s why we think they're the best...
- They offer ready-to-go meals that are healthy, organic, and nutritious.
- Daily Harvest offers a variety of meals, as well as snacks and delicious smoothies.
- Because they’re vegan, their entire menu is dairy-free. The downside of this is that Daily Harvest obviously doesn’t offer any meat.
- They are an affordable option with their lowest price per meal being $5.99.
What To Consider When Choosing A Dairy-Free Meal Delivery Service
When choosing a dairy-free meal delivery service, there are some important things to consider before you purchase. For those with a severe allergy to milk, you have to first consider if your meals are being processed in a facility that handles dairy. If you need your meals to be prepared in a facility that does not handle dairy, then your options will be narrowed down a bit.
Let’s dive into what some of those options are and what else you should consider when choosing your dairy-free meal delivery service.
Meal Delivery Services That Do Not Handle Any Dairy
If you’re looking for a dairy-free meal delivery service that does not handle any dairy (so there’s no worry of cross-contamination), these are the best to consider:
- Daily Harvest
- Paleo on the Go
If you’re on the west coast, also check out Thistle. We didn’t include them in this review because they are limited to the west coast and have more limited meal options, but they are also entirely dairy-free.
Do You Prefer To Make The Meals Or Would You Like Them To Be Pre-Made?
When choosing a meal delivery service, you want to make sure you find one that fits your unique needs and preferences. If cooking and following a recipe isn’t your thing, then you'd probably prefer a meal delivery service that offers pre-made meals (ones that require zero cooking).
On the other hand, you might want to try new recipes and learn how to cook different dairy-free meals. Maybe you enjoy the process of cooking but have a hard time coming up with dairy-free recipes yourself or finding them online. If this is the case, you would probably enjoy a meal kit where you can prep and cook the recipe yourself, learning along the way.
Do Other Popular Meal Delivery Services Offer Dairy-Free Options?
You may have noticed some big-name meal delivery services that didn’t make the list, such as HelloFresh, Green Chef, and Martha & Marley Spoon. This is because it’s a bit harder to set a dairy-free preference with these companies, and requires more work on your end to make sure your meals are 100% dairy-free. Not only that, but their dairy-free options may be more limited than the variety you would find with another service (such as Daily Harvest).
While it’s difficult to set this preference, these services do offer dairy-free meals (you just have to look a bit harder). So, if you’re excited about trying one of them out, then go for it. Just know you will have to be more proactive at choosing your meals and checking the ingredient lists to make sure they accommodate your diet.
How Many Meals Do You Need To Eat Per Day?
Each meal delivery service is different in how much they have to offer. Do you need a service that supplies breakfast, lunch, and dinner? Are you looking for a service that has a marketplace where you can add additional snacks and foods into your box each week? You also want to consider how large (or small) your household is. Will you just be feeding yourself, a spouse, or a family?
The answers to all of these questions will affect what plans you choose and how many meals you would like. Meal kits usually offer two servings as their lowest option, while most pre-made meal delivery services send their meals as single-servings.
What Is Your Budget?
When it comes to meal delivery services, you don’t have to break the bank to receive high-quality and fresh dairy-free meals. There are a number of affordable meal kits and pre-made meal services that are healthy and reasonably priced.
This is the case with services such as Hungryroot, Daily Harvest, and Dinnerly. All offer meal options under $8 per serving.
If a meal delivery service you’re looking into is a bit more pricey, consider why that might be. Sunbasket, for example, isn’t the cheapest on this list - but they offer delicious and adventurous meals, as well as eco-friendly packaging. They also support local farmers and only use in-season produce. When taking these factors into account, it’s more understandable why their prices are a little bit higher.
Do You Have Any Other Food Allergies?
This is another great question to consider when choosing the food delivery service that is right for you, as some services are more accommodating to allergens than others. You can always reach out to customer support of a service you’re considering and see if they accommodate your specific allergen.
Another way you can scope this out is by looking through the websites of the services you’re considering. Most services are pretty upfront and list what allergens are in each meal on their info page, while also letting you know if it is dairy-free, gluten-free, or vegetarian.
If you have an allergy that is less common, say an allergy to bell peppers, for instance; then your best mode of action would be to contact customer support and see if they can exclude this ingredient from your meals.
Fresh N’ Lean is a great example of a service that accommodates multiple different food allergies. As mentioned above, when you’re picking your plan, they allow you to select individual foods and allergens you would like to exclude from your meals.
Our Methodology For Selecting The Dairy-Free Meal Delivery Services On This List
All of the dairy-free meal delivery services listed in this article have been vetted by the Food Box HQ team. This includes, but is not limited to, purchasing the product, reviewing the service in its entirety, taste tests, and more. You can read more about our review process here.
We use these specific guidelines to evaluate every dairy-free meal delivery service we researched:
- The dairy-free meals that are offered have to adhere strictly to a dairy-free diet.
- The meal delivery service has to offer a variety of dairy-free meals to choose from.
- The meal delivery service has to be able to ship to every state and town within the United States.
- They have to offer high-quality ingredients that meet nutritional needs. This includes, but is not limited to, organic fresh produce, local produce, and organic, grass-fed meat.